cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete shortcuts without deleting archived items

Gogeta
Level 4

We are using EV 11. We are trying to the delete all the shortcuts in mailboxes without deleting the archived items.  All the archived items are at least 7 years ago. The retention is 7 years.  When we decided not to delete archived items, we set Storage Expiry to Never.  We only want to delete shortcuts, so we set the Shortcut Deletion to 1 day in the Mailbox Policy.  It's been a few days and it doesn't seems to work.  I checked the report and it keeps saying Shortcuts deleted is zero.  I ran the archiving task on a specific mailbox with very old shortcuts, in report mode and shortcuts processing mode.  Both reported Shortcuts deleted is zero.  Any idea?

19 REPLIES 19

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Are they orphaned shortcuts? Do you also have it checked to delete orphaned shortcuts?

Gogeta
Level 4

They are not orphaned shortcuts.  They all point to existing archived items.  I also have delete orphaned shortcuts checked.

dcVAST
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Were the policies recently changed and has a synchronization been performed? Maybe dtrace ArchiveTask while you perform a Run Now Shortcut Processing for a user.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

how about using powershell to delete the shortcuts from the mailboxes?

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

There is a doc about it somewhere. I cannot find that, but believe this is a pointer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH73137

Set storage expiry to run on schedule, clear the schedule, also select 'run in report mode'.

Verify in your policy that shortcut deletion is set to the expected period.

I have the above configured in my environments. Shortcuts stay for a year in mailbox, no items removed from archive (retain forever).

There are some wwwpages describing how to use powershell to perform the same:

https://exitcodezero.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/how-to-delete-all-ev-shortcuts-from-a-mailbox/comment-...

And this one:

http://msexchange.me/2014/11/16/remove-enterprisevault-shortcut-class-message-after-office-365-migra...

succes.

Regards. Gertjan

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not that I don't think PS will work here, I just dont think it is the best first step to take and if it goes wrong... (no offence meant to either Gertjan or Andrew)

I would personally go with dcVAST's comment, dtrace the ArchiveTask and find out WHY those shortcuts are not being deleted, then you can correct the root cause, rather than using a workaround such as PS.

If there is a valid reason why EV is not carrying out what you are asking of it then it needs to be fixed if it can not be made to work via correct configuration.

If you need further help with it then post up a link to the Dtrace if you can do and/or open a case with us and we will get to the bottom of it with you.

GertjanA

No offense taken :)

Regards. Gertjan

Gogeta
Level 4

Thanks for all the advice.  I will run a Dtrace.  In the meantime, when I look at the Exchange archiving report, it shows the number of shortcuts in mailbox is the same as the number of moved shortcuts.  What does it mean?  I know for sure I didn't move any shortcut in the mailbox that I am testing.  Does it means Evault consider the shortcuts that should be deleted moved?

Gogeta
Level 4

It looks like system sees everything as a moved item and add it the list of moved items.  Any idea why?

(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     :CArchivingAgent::ProcessChunkOfShortcuts() |Entering routine |
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CMailboxStatusHelper::AddEntry} (Entry) line [#455].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#12565} processing shortcut [RE: Change to Differential Daily Backups], size [2532] bytes
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CMailboxStatusHelper::AddEntry} (Exit).
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#12771} shortcutexpiryperiod 1, deleteexpireditems F, orphanedshortcut T
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ReadRow} (Entry) line [#442].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#12774} Update moved items: [True], update RC: [True], update RC user: [True].
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ReadRow} (Exit).
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13129} Using default ExpiryDateBasis: Archived Date
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ExtractFields} (Entry) line [#319].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CRetentionCategoryCache::GetRetentionCategoryData} (Entry) Retention category [1DB6B8302B0D0174C9781136A54CAE21D1b10000evault-ott]
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ConvertStringToArchivingStatusType} (Entry) line [#408].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CRetentionCategoryCache::GetRetentionCategoryData} (Exit) Status: [Success]
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ConvertStringToArchivingStatusType} (Exit).
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13155} Expiry Basis on Retention Category is [EXPIRY_BASIS_INHERIT_FROM_SITE (2)].
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ExtractFields} (Exit).

Gogeta
Level 4

Any idea why it thinks everything is a moved item?

(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     :CArchivingAgent::ProcessChunkOfShortcuts() |Entering routine |
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CMailboxStatusHelper::AddEntry} (Entry) line [#455].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#12565} processing shortcut [RE: Change to Differential Daily Backups], size [2532] bytes
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#12771} shortcutexpiryperiod 1, deleteexpireditems F, orphanedshortcut T
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ReadRow} (Entry) line [#442].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#12774} Update moved items: [True], update RC: [True], update RC user: [True].
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ReadRow} (Exit).
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13129} Using default ExpiryDateBasis: Archived Date
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ExtractFields} (Entry) line [#319].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CRetentionCategoryCache::GetRetentionCategoryData} (Entry) Retention category [1DB6B8302B0D0174C9781136A54CAE21D1b10000evault-ott]
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ConvertStringToArchivingStatusType} (Entry) line [#408].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CRetentionCategoryCache::GetRetentionCategoryData} (Exit) Status: [Success]
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ConvertStringToArchivingStatusType} (Exit).
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13155} Expiry Basis on Retention Category is [EXPIRY_BASIS_INHERIT_FROM_SITE (2)].
(ArchiveTask)     <16760>     EV:L     {CArchivingMailboxStatsFile::ExtractFields} (Exit).
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13160} Expiry Basis on Site is [EXPIRY_BASIS_ARCHIVED_DATE (0)].
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13286} shortcut status flag has been set on the item with value [3]
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CArchivingAgent::ItemsArchiveIDSameAsParents:#13732} Item's Archive ID [18B8AE579BF5EB2429171E6ADFFBEB02D1110000evault-ott] [does] match parent [folder]'s Archive ID.
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13343} Retention category has not changed
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     {CArchivingAgent::ProcessShortcutItem:#13354} [RE: Change to Differential Daily Backups] this is a moved item so add it to our list of moved items
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CArchivingAgent::ConstructMovedItemXml:#13806} Generating XML element for [EV8+] moved item.
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:L     {CArchivingAgent::ConstructMovedItemXml:#13859} Base64 encoding [242] byte element data.
(ArchiveTask)     <6540>     EV:M     :ProcessChunkOfShortcuts() |Exiting routine |

GertjanA

Hello Gogeta,

Issue is also described here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/shortcuts-are-marked-moved-without-moving-within-mail...

Solution was to zap the affected mailboxes, reenable them.

Regards. Gertjan

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yep as Getjan says, could easily be a bad copy of the Hidden message.

Zap it and see what happens on the next run, within that forum post is the official Technote for the issue too which may help you confirm it is the exact same problem.

Gogeta
Level 4

It looks like the same issue.  I probably have to zap all the mailboxes.  Since I have never done it before and don't want to loss any data,  I logged a case with Symantec to get some instructions.

Thanks for all the advice.

AndrewB

@Ben - seems like a lot of trouble for something that is really about mailbox management in Exchange. can you tell me again what's the reason behind your guidance not to run a basic powershell command? the process is pretty well documented in various forums.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Andrew,

As mentioned above I did not mean to offend but the way I see it EV SHOULD be doing this already, if it is not then there is a reason behind that and surely it is easier and cleaner to get that reason found and corrected so that EV can continue to clean up those Shortcuts on an ongoing basis rather than having to run a PS command every time you want to clean up Shortcuts from mailboxes.

Yes PS would work, yes it is a basic PS command (for anyone that usually works with PS on a regular basis) to remove exchange objects from an exchange mailbox and is unlikely to go wrong but it amongst other things it seems counter productive to have a piece of software which is meant to be managing something for you already only to go and find another way to do it which is more manually intensive (I say manually intensive in the broadest sense of the word seeing as it could be run in a single command from a PS console).

EV should be doing the Shortcut clean-up as part of its Mailbox Archiving run, it isn't, surely it is better to get that working than to find another way to do it when you have already paid a lot of good money for EV to do it?

Once EV is doing that you can sit back, relax and forget about it.

On the flip side of the coin, PS is extremely powerful (and useful), one missed switch/mis-typed variable (e.g. IPM.Note instead of IPM.Note.EnterpriseV*)  on a command could cause a lot of damage. As an employee of Symantec I will always need to err on the side of caution anyway for various reasons but, at this point, as well as the points mentioned above, I do not see the benefit of using PS over 'fixing' EV other than for a quick fix/workaround for something that should already be handled by the product.

AndrewB

ben, i took no offense at all but apprecaite the concern. here's why this issue could have been resolved the same day he posted and why i still support the PS approach to satisfy gogeta's request. he specifically stated he wishes to delete all shortcuts (contrary to deleting shortcuts older than X months on an ongoing basis.) ultimately it's up to him to decide which avenue to take but it really seems you'all are taking a very protracted approach to satisfy a one-and-done requirement.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

My job is to support and, more importantly, fix Enterprise Vault therefore my suggestions are based on what I felt was needed by the OP, and best in the long run. As you say though there are horses for courses, so at the end of the day it depends entirely on what the exact current situation is from the OPs perspective.

If all Gogeta wants to do is wipe ALL shortcuts from mailboxes as quickly as possible, and there is no need for ongoing deletions, at the same time there is no need nor care for why EV is not operating as it should do, then yes powershell could be the way to go, nice and fast and will do exactly what is wanted, I simply would not recommend that though as to me that is a workaround (or brushing the dust under the carpet), it is very powerful and can do a lot of damage if not run correctly and it is also not something I would be happy with myself.

If you want the product you paid for to operate as you expect and you want to be deleting shortcuts ongoing without worrying about running PS script every x days/weeks/months then troubleshoot the product, with our help if needed/wanted, and get EV doing what it is meant to.

At the end of the day this forum is here for everyone to give/provide help and support and that is what makes this forum so good. You will either get a 'THIS is the ONLY way to fix your problem' or 'You have this option or you have this other option, its down to you.' or 'You can do this or you can do that, I would recommend this for this reason and that reason.' or someone says one thing and someone else recommends something else, both work but at the end of the day it is the OPs choice to make.

Bottom line:-

Will PS script work?  -  Yes if run correctly

Will EV also work?  -  Yes if working correctly

Are there pros and cons to both?  -  Yes but these will change depending on what is wanted by Gogeta at the end of the day. 

AndrewB

No offense taken

GertjanA

Gogeta, do you have Vault Cache?

If so, can you check this document: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH197115

The document applies to EV10, but might be worth a check for you.

Regards. Gertjan