cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extract and view DVS file contents from file system

GusFring
Level 4

Hi

We have EV 8.0 SP5, and I am attempting to access a few DVS files directly from the filesystem. As I understand from another forum discussion, this is no longer permitted/possible in this EV version and others.

Consequently, I attempted the sample script provided in this discussion https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/unable-open-dvs-files-directly-file-system, but get the response 'Item Not Found. Status: Failed! - 80040307.

However I am able to track that item down using the Saveset tables, the CollectionIdentity, and on viewing the referenced CAB file, I find that item exists inside it.

Can someone assist with this script, or any other method to extract DVSes to MSGes or any way to view such items.

thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, you can have a high level of confidence using this script in your production environment but no, Symantec support will not support it or troubleshoot it. 

You say you need to recover items, what is it exactly you are trying to do.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

GusFring
Level 4

Apologies!

Here is an update. Initially while  running that script I was providing it the ArchiveID or VaultID and the IDTransaction and it was returning the above error.

I tracked down the related ArchivePointID from SQL, and using that, was able to extract the item as a MSG and view it in Outlook.

However as i was (and am) unsure about the impact of this script, I have so far only tried it in our lab/test environment. Could someone confirm that this script is utterly harmless, or otherwise, and can I run it in our Production environment which is where i need to extract/recover some items?

Is this a situation where Symantec support can and will assist? Keeping in mind that this script does not appear to be officially from Symantec!! (Thanks Wayne!!!!!)

thanks

TonySterling

Yes, you can have a high level of confidence using this script in your production environment but no, Symantec support will not support it or troubleshoot it. 

You say you need to recover items, what is it exactly you are trying to do.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I agree with Tony... what is it you're trying to do exactly ?

Working for cloudficient.com

GusFring
Level 4

Tony, thanks for inspiring confidence in this script.

We did a vault export which completed successfully, except for perhaps a dozen items which failed. So the PSTs only contain stubs for these items. As luck would have it, among these 10-12 items, are the 1 or 2 which were of prime importance. Tried to confirm whether the referenced DVS files even exist, and found that they do (or at least the first one that I tried, havent gone further yet).

I am trying one more export right now to see if those items also get exported - otherwise will consider using this script.

GusFring
Level 4

Sorry Rob didnt see your response till after i posted mine. Thanks for your interest too !!

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What you could try also is to use EVSVR and do a dumpsaveset and see if it generates any errors.

If so, what is the error.

TonySterling

Since it is 10 or 12 and you are in the situation your in, if the script works then great, use it.

I would follow that up with FreKac's suggestion and do an EVSVR run to see what it reports. 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
You are welcome, and it looks like you have the answer now?
Working for cloudficient.com

GusFring
Level 4

Thanks Rob, FreKac and Tony!!

What I ended up doing is, another export of the vault. It completed successfully, with 0 failures, and no errors in the event log.

I have provided the PSTs to the user. In case I hear back from him that those items are still missing/unretrievable, then I will try EVSVR.

Appreciate all the helpful advice!!!!