Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get SEV web interface to restore to another exchange location

jahanbin
Level 3

Background:

Company A purchases Company B.

Company A and B both run SEV V8 SP4 on windows 2003. Both companies use SEV for exchange 2007 Archiving and journaling.

Company A and B setup a limited AD trust between the two networks.

Exchange users from Company B are migrated to exchange at company A.

As SEV really lacks a true migration tool (BTW very sad and would make me stay away from SEV in the future) we are forced to look for 3rd party vendor for the migration. 3rd party vendor quotes us $150K-$200K for the migration and state that it will take more than 6 months to complete the work. Management doesn't want to pay that much and I don't blame them. We attempt to migrate using pst export/import. This is very problematic and slow. After few months of attempting to do this we give up as we have only been able to migrate less than 100 people during that time.

Users on company A now are only able to access the old SEV data using the web interface for old SEV.

Management doesn’t really want to spend any more time or money on the old SEV and want to decommission it.

They prefer to offload the work to the end users and set a deadline when the environment will be decommissioned. They want a way to have the end users to export and import the old archived data themself if they are interested in it.

Questions:

What would be the best way of doing this?

Would it be possible to configure the SEV web interface so when the restore function is clicked it actually restores the items into another mailbox on another exchange environment? (I know this is farfetched but I really don't know what else to try)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You cannot restore a mailbox or exchange server that EV does not target, so that would not be possible.

And when you say that EV lacks a true migration tool, what does Move Archive not do?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You cannot restore a mailbox or exchange server that EV does not target, so that would not be possible.

And when you say that EV lacks a true migration tool, what does Move Archive not do?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Gonz
Level 5
Employee

I guess is because this sentence:

Company A and B setup a limited AD trust between the two networks.

Please clarify as Move Archive should be the tool to be used here.

Kind regards