cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make the Exchange Mailbox archive runs daily automatically ?

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi All,

I'd like to know if this is according to the best practice to do the Mailbox archive everyday ?

Because my manager would like to archive all things as much as possible of all email that is sent to us and reach the Exchange Server mailbox.

So is this possible with EV ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dushan,
Depending on how your exchange is set up and the journal mailboxes you are targeting, it could be every single email in and out of your companies exchange servers, meaning every sent and received email is archived.

If you have this set up, this means that you have full compliance, and when you archive mailboxes, it just means you are archiving items that have already been archived via journaling, most companies that have journaling + mailbox archiving use Journaling for compliance and mailbox archiving for Exchange mailbox management.

For instance you could have a mailbox quota of 200mb but with archiving you could have gigabytes of email that users can access, without having the end users push them to PST files.

And then with journaling, because you are archiving literally every single email in and out, you are only searching a handful of journal archives, as opposed to potentially hundreds of thousands of user archives, making searches simpler and quicker

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

R_Meeker
Level 4

I may be missing your point, but you sound like you want to run Journal Archiving. If you want to 'archive all things as much as possible of all email that is sent' then you turn on Exchange Journalling and run EV Journalling on that Journal mailbox.

If you don't want to run journalling then you need to look at your environment, EV will be able to archive everything everyday as long as you give it the Server resources, but it is going to be the resources you are going to put on the system when you have a 0 day policy for archiving when users need to restore items, retrieve them, download them to the Vault Cache that is going to give you a headache. Although EV is a great way to move storage from Primary Exchange disks to EV partition disks it is also an archiving product and Exchange Mailbox Archiving is not designed to archive/remove items from exchange on a 0 day policy.

I think the best answer is that you need to study how much data you generate a day, and how much of that exchange data is accessed per day by users. Then get a happy medium between archiving as close to 0 day as possible but not archiving items that are accessed on a daily basis. or install journal archiving

Journal archiving will do 0 day archiving on the journal mailbox to a seperate archive. Access to the archive is configurable to who needs it and can be searched on that basis. If you then find you are accessing this journal archive on a daily basis via searches you then need to start thinking about Accelerator applications that will enhance your ability to search the journal archive data.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yes. You can set the schedule run either on the exchange mailbox archiving task(s) or you can set it on EV site properties under the Schedule tab.

Schedule archiving are based on your Exchange Mailbox Policy in Policies on the EV Admin Console, I would set that up first. This will determine how much you want archive i.e. 1 day old, 1 week old 1 month old 1 year old etc.

Your best part would be to read the Admin Guide under the Documentation folder in the installation location (by default C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\Documentation and C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\Documentation for 64 but OS).

Hope this helps.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

@Meeker, yes I do have and turn on the Exchange Journaling malbox feature, So I should just turn on the 0-day archiving policy only for the Exchange Server Journal mailbox ?

@CTEV, thanks for the guidance, I am new to this application so please be patient to me.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Dushan,
Depending on how your exchange is set up and the journal mailboxes you are targeting, it could be every single email in and out of your companies exchange servers, meaning every sent and received email is archived.

If you have this set up, this means that you have full compliance, and when you archive mailboxes, it just means you are archiving items that have already been archived via journaling, most companies that have journaling + mailbox archiving use Journaling for compliance and mailbox archiving for Exchange mailbox management.

For instance you could have a mailbox quota of 200mb but with archiving you could have gigabytes of email that users can access, without having the end users push them to PST files.

And then with journaling, because you are archiving literally every single email in and out, you are only searching a handful of journal archives, as opposed to potentially hundreds of thousands of user archives, making searches simpler and quicker

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146