cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore a backup of Enterprise Vault for a few deleted archived mailboxes

hbozan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

By mistakely a few archieved email accounts were deleted from EV archieve.

What are the steps to follow for restore EV from backup for those deleted moilboxes ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

That's a lengthy process.

Unfortunately, there is no granular restore option. Your best bet is the following:

Get some test machines, with corresponding storage. (EV-servers, and SQL)

Restore backup to these test machines. You will have to make sure that it is NOT in production network, and that aliasses etc work. When restored, export affected archives to PST. copy PST to production network, and then import into a new archive, tied to the user.

You might want to talk to a consulting firm, or start with Symantec Support to get more exact steps.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

That's a lengthy process.

Unfortunately, there is no granular restore option. Your best bet is the following:

Get some test machines, with corresponding storage. (EV-servers, and SQL)

Restore backup to these test machines. You will have to make sure that it is NOT in production network, and that aliasses etc work. When restored, export affected archives to PST. copy PST to production network, and then import into a new archive, tied to the user.

You might want to talk to a consulting firm, or start with Symantec Support to get more exact steps.

Regards. Gertjan

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As GertJan said, the process is quite lengthy that may require to build a recovery server, you can refer following tech note for more details.

“How to restore a single archive after it has been deleted in an Enterprise Vault site” http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO109652

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

hbozan, single archive restore is something the world has been asking for for a while now because it's so difficult to restore an entire EV environment especially for large customers. if you would like, i'd love to share your customer's feedback with EV product management. if they get enough customers interested, they give more attention to feature requests.

hbozan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Sure, I can share my feedback.

I believe it is not impossible like in some backup systems (granular) they can restore mailboxes, even EV uses single instance - block level sharing. It is very rare that customers need to restore mailboxes a few months ago deleted generally this wish doesn't pass a few weeks which they needed to restore. Depends on the time can be solution to do granular restore in EV.

hbozan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for tech note.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The problem is that it isnt just an object which is deleted and needs to be restored.

When you are talking about deleting an Archive from EV, the Archive is simply a logical container which all the relevant Saveset entries point to in the SQL DBs.

So when recalling a single item EV doesnt go to an Archive, it goes to that item, then finds out which Archive (logical container) it belows too. Then it goes and gets the item from Storage.

When deleting an Archive it isnt just the single physical item which is deleted from Storage which can be restored, it is all the SQL references that point to it, the Archive entry, the permissions applied to that Archive entry, all SisParts and SisPart references that are updated/removed/altered in SQL, then if the deletion of one of those SisParts or Savesets takes a CAB file below the threshold for a recollection you then have the alterations in the DB for that Collection file and the hundreds of items within that collection file which are altered.

That is just the surface of what is going on which is why its so difficult to provide a Granular restore.

I'm not disagreeing here, I completely agree that this would be a huge bonus to have in our product and something customers have been asking for for a long while now, it is just a large undertaking so as Andrew says, the more customers ask for it the most attention it gets from the relevant people.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO38237

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/extend-enable-recovery-user-deleted-items-ev-admin-archive-deletes

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/recovery-deleted-archive