cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore emails from Journaling server using Seach.asp

Cdee
Level 6

Hi All,

I have a journaling server EV 9.0.2 and i am trying to restore the particluar mails using search .asp on Journal server.

I have tried to create a basket, add the mails which i need to restore in the basket and then tried restoring the mails in basket.

In the Alias where i need to restore the mails i provide the email address of the user and in server i provide the CAS server FQDN.

But when i try doing it i get error stating that restore failed.

Just want to know am i doing it correclty?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could just export them to pst.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54281

Method 2 - Browser Search
This is the best method to selectively restore items to a PST file.

Before starting the export it is necessary to modify or create the webapp.ini file.

1. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the Enterprise Vault program path (typically C:\program files\enterprise vault\) and search for webapp.ini.  If the file does not exist, create it using Notepad and save the file with ANSI encoding only.

2. Add the following lines to the Webapp.ini:

UseFederatedSearch= 1
FederatedSearchMaxItems= 10000
RestoreToPSTOption= All
or
RestoreToPSTOption= domain\user1,domain\user2

You may also need to add the following lines to the webapp.ini, since the default return is only 1000 items.  This is optimized for best performance, but may be modified temporarily.  The value of 10000 is an example, these parameters may be changed depending upon individual requirements.

ShowAllMaxResults= 10000
MaxRestoreItems = 10000

3. Save the Webapp.ini file, restart Internet Information Services (IIS) and clear the IE cache.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The alias and authenticating server are to validate permissions, not as a restore point.  You'll need to restore the email to a folder in the mailbox from which it was archived, then you can move it to any other mailbox via Outlook.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could just export them to pst.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54281

Method 2 - Browser Search
This is the best method to selectively restore items to a PST file.

Before starting the export it is necessary to modify or create the webapp.ini file.

1. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the Enterprise Vault program path (typically C:\program files\enterprise vault\) and search for webapp.ini.  If the file does not exist, create it using Notepad and save the file with ANSI encoding only.

2. Add the following lines to the Webapp.ini:

UseFederatedSearch= 1
FederatedSearchMaxItems= 10000
RestoreToPSTOption= All
or
RestoreToPSTOption= domain\user1,domain\user2

You may also need to add the following lines to the webapp.ini, since the default return is only 1000 items.  This is optimized for best performance, but may be modified temporarily.  The value of 10000 is an example, these parameters may be changed depending upon individual requirements.

ShowAllMaxResults= 10000
MaxRestoreItems = 10000

3. Save the Webapp.ini file, restart Internet Information Services (IIS) and clear the IE cache.

Cdee
Level 6

Thanks Tony i will try the same in some time.

Cdee
Level 6

Still unlucky while trying to restore mails, to pst>

Now i get option to restore the mails to pst but it shows status as fail when trying to restore the mails when looking at the event logs i get the following error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Directory Service
Event ID: 8391
Date:  10/25/2011
Time:  10:19:54 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: EV
Description:
The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryService object reported an error.

Unspecified error

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Shopping Service
Event ID: 8390
Date:  10/25/2011
Time:  10:19:54 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: EVDescription:
The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error.

Unspecified error

Internal references:
Error 0x80004005
CDirectoryConnectionObject::ReadArchiveRetrievalTaskByMailboxDN .\DirectoryConnectionObject.cpp [lines {7106,7115,7117}], built Mar 14 10:55:02 2011

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

Any guesses

it didn't work for Enterprise Vault 11;

I saved file two locations but it didn't

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\WebApp.ini

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\WebApp\WebApp.ini