cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore from the EV Admin console to the original folder in the mailbox.

_Benny_
Level 3

Hi all,

When performing a restore from Enterprise Vault Admin Console (Export Archive > Export archives to their original mailboxes) all restored emails end up in the "Restored Items" folder in the Outlook client. The stub disapears and the email appears under Restored Items, how would I get the emails to be restored automatically into their original folders?

If I select the email in the client as the user and click the "Restore from Vault" icon the email is restored to the correct location.

If I select the email as the user from the EV web site for clients (http://servername.fqdn/enterprisevault) and click restore I get the option to restore the item to the 'Restored Items' or the 'current folder path inside themailbox' but the stub doesn't disapear.

EV Version: 10.0.0.1316 on Windows Server 2008 R2

Client Versions: Outlook 2007

Thankyou :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I reviewed your screenshots of the process and it all looks correct.  That being the case you should open a case with Symantec Support as it would seem you have some kind of environmental issue causing this and finding the cause would require a bit of hands on access the forum cannot really give you.

Regards

Tony

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH198323

make sure you select the correct option when running the wizrad

refer https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restoring-exchange-mailbox-ev-archived-emails-back-original-state

_Benny_
Level 3

Woops

_Benny_
Level 3

Thanks for replying so quickly RahulG.

I have already run the wizard but everytime all of the emails go to the "restored items" folder and not to the original folder where the stubs exist. Unfortunately neither of the links above specify all of the options so I can't be sure I've got it exactly right...

This is what I'm doing:

Export > Export archive to their original mailboxes > select source archive > Export all items > Export report shows that it has successfully completed.  > Open inbox in Outlook and all emails from the archive are now in the "restored items" folder, stubs have been removed from their original locations in Inbox and subfolders of Inbox.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Then that's where they might have been archived from...

Working for cloudficient.com

_Benny_
Level 3

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comment.

The emails in the archive were not archived from the 'restored items' folder as I have performed a test whereby I archive a specific email in the inbox and then run the restore from the VAC and the item ends up in the "restored items" folder. If I do the same thing but run the restore from the users perspective in outlook or the EV web site the item is restored to the original location.

I have tested this on a couple of mailboxes to export back to the original mailbox and to PST and I keep getting the same result.

Any further guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Please post screenshots of how you're doing this 'restore from the VAC'

And/or step by step instructions.

If you're using the Export Archive Wizard, what you're saying doesn't make sense... but perhaps you're doing something else.

_Benny_
Level 3

Hi Rob,

No worries, please see screenshots in PDF attached to this post.

I have performed an export on a fresh mailbox that only had 1 archived email.

Appreciate your help on this :)

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Looking at the screenshots I dont see any thing wrong in there. Can you try exporting the items pst file and see if you see the folder structure as it should be ?

_Benny_
Level 3

Hi Rahul,

I am getting the same result when I export to PST.

Cheers

Ben

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

So you see all the emails are restored to the Restored items folder ?

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified

_Benny_

Can you try export to PST for some other mailbox and see if the folder structure is maintained. Just to check if this is an issue with this mailbox only.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I would also suggest doing a browser search with ?Advanced=3, and adding in the 'other result attribute' LOCN.

That will show you where the archived items are in the archive.

Or you can use Archive Explorer and view the archive structure..

Or Virtual Vault.

_Ben_
Level 3

Hi Nups, yes I have tried 3 mailboxes now with the same result.

_Ben_
Level 3

Thats correct, all of the emails are in the 'restored items' folder.

_Ben_
Level 3

Hi Rob,

Looking in the browser like you suggested shows the items with their correct folder location.

Cheers

Ben

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I reviewed your screenshots of the process and it all looks correct.  That being the case you should open a case with Symantec Support as it would seem you have some kind of environmental issue causing this and finding the cause would require a bit of hands on access the forum cannot really give you.

Regards

Tony

_Ben_
Level 3

Hi all,

I raised a case with Symantec yesterday and they were unable to resolve and have recommended updating to 10.0.4 and then retesting.

Thanks everyone for your assistance, really appreciate it.

Cheers

Ben

_Ben_
Level 3

Thanks Tony, case already logged.