cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up Google Apps to send SMTP messages to EV?

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Is there any white paper about this or has anybody tried to do it for EDiscoery purposes? How about Novell Groupwise?

The new EV SMTP archiving functionality is supposed to support both cases.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think what you're looking for is going to come from google documentation. i didnt have time to search very extensively but something like:

http://www.google.com/support/enterprise/static/postini/docs/admin/en/arch_admin/cover.html#986605

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you seen this:

Steps to configure SMTP Archiving

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO10814

Description

Steps to configure SMTP Archiving

To configure SMTP Archiving, you must log in using the Vault Service account, or an account that is assigned to the SMTP Administrator role. The SMTP Administrator role is also included in the Messaging Administrator role and the Power Administrator role.

See "Roles-based administration" in the Administrator's Guide.

Table: Steps to configure SMTP Archiving outlines the tasks required to configure SMTP Archiving. Detailed instructions are given in the sections indicated.

You can perform all of the steps manually, or perform Steps 1 and 2, and then use a configuration wizard to guide you through Steps 3 to 5.

To start the SMTP Archiving configuration wizard

1. Perform Step 1 and 2 as listed in Table: Steps to configure SMTP Archiving.

2. In the Administration Console, right-click the SMTP container under Targets, and select  New > Target Email Address.

The configuration wizard starts and guides you through Steps 3, 4, and 5. 

When configuring SMTP target addresses, you are asked to select an archive, retention category, and policy that you configured in Steps 1 and 2.

Table: Steps to configure SMTP Archiving

Step

Task

Description

Step 1

Create archives.

See Creating archives for SMTP messages.

Step 2

Set up suitable SMTP Archiving policies and retention categories.

See Configuring retention categories and SMTP policies.

Step 3

Configure the SMTP server settings for all Enterprise Vault SMTP servers in the site.

See Configuring the Enterprise Vault SMTP Servers in the site.

You can perform Steps 3 to 5 manually, as described in the sections that are referenced. Alternatively, you can use the configuration wizard.

Step 4

Adding SMTP target addresses.

See Adding SMTP target addresses.

Step 5

Create the SMTP Archiving task, and configure the SMTP holding folder.

See Adding an SMTP Archiving task.

This section describes how to perform these steps using the Enterprise Vault Administration Console. Alternatively, you can perform the configuration tasks using the Enterprise Vault PowerShell cmdlets for SMTP Archiving. The cmdlets are particularly useful for tasks such as adding a large number of SMTP target addresses. 

See About the PowerShell cmdlets for SMTP Archiving.

Whether you are using the Administration Console or Enterprise Vault PowerShell cmdlets, you should perform the configuration steps in the order shown.

References

Legacy ID

v101232911_v107316892 

Terms of use for this information are found in Legal Notices.

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks (again) Tony,

Yes I´ve read that. An SMTP target address must be configured to receive smtp trafic and get it archved later. I understand that smtp target address resides on the EV server itself and something must be configured in Google Apps (in this case) to send smtp traffic to this EV smtp address. My question is how. Are there any guidlines from Symantec / Veritas or from third parties?

regards

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think what you're looking for is going to come from google documentation. i didnt have time to search very extensively but something like:

http://www.google.com/support/enterprise/static/postini/docs/admin/en/arch_admin/cover.html#986605

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Andrew,

I found the following link: https://support.google.com/a/answer/1346934?hl=en which explains how to achieve this. I´ll do some tests.