cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge .mdc file in Vault Cache

LBI
Level 4

Hello everyone,

We noticed that .mdc file size in Vault Cache folder is nearly 50Go! (Maybe not for each user but for a good number of them.)

Is that normal? Please note that Desktop Policy is set to "store only items that user opens", max size = 30Go.

User's archive are less than 10Go.

In VC folder, there is no .db file (which means I think that even items opened by user are not stored?)

What exactly is stored in this .mdc file? I read it was mailbox structure but 50Go looks HUGE only for structure, don't you agree?

I already tried to reset VC but it ends the same (.mdc file keeps growing till these 50Go).

EV version : 10.0.4 (server and client)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

refer 

http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2011/03/18/limiting-the-size-of-vault-cache/

View solution in original post

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

The MDC can grow if the user is experiencing a lot of failed synchronizations - particularly if the initial sync after a VC reset never properly completes and just keeps retrying.

If that is the case then the root cause for the failures needs to be determined.

Richard.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

refer 

http://thingsilearnedtoday.net/2011/03/18/limiting-the-size-of-vault-cache/

LBI
Level 4

Thank you! Now I get why I don't have any .db file in VC folder (.mdc size > VC allocated size)

But does anyone know if 50Gb is "acceptable" as .mdc file size? (in TILT article, he says 3Gb is a "BIIIIIIIIIIIIG old archive!" :)))

Thanks a lot.

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

The MDC can grow if the user is experiencing a lot of failed synchronizations - particularly if the initial sync after a VC reset never properly completes and just keeps retrying.

If that is the case then the root cause for the failures needs to be determined.

Richard.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
When users drag and drop stuff to virtual vault.. Ie from a mailbox or PST .. That goes into the MDC. Therefore it can get big because of that.
Working for cloudficient.com

LBI
Level 4

Thank you RichardG. This could be the explaination.

Two years ago, we still had a EV v6 server and decided to install a new EV v10 server. Then, we migrated some users mailboxes on the new EV v10 server but it did not work. So we rolled back these mailboxes on old EV v6 server and upgraded it to v7 then v2007 and so on.

Everything worked fine excepted for the few mailboxes that were migrated on the EV v10 server. These could never synchronize their VC. We decided to let them this way. But today, these mailboxes are the ones with the huge .mdc file.

Now, I don't know if there is a way to fix this synchronization problem without deleting the mailboxes. Maybe zapping them?

I will give it a try.

Thank you again for your help.

LBI
Level 4

PS to Rob : we do not allow users to drag and drop into Virtual Vault which is not enabled.

But thank you!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Reseting the vault cache may also help!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

True, but I wouldn't recommend that until the contents of the MDC file have been examined.  Best to copy to another machine which doesn't have the EV Outlook Add-in installed, and rename it to PST.. then open it, and review.

Working for cloudficient.com

LBI
Level 4

I already tried to reset VC. It deletes everything in VC folder, but then, .mdc file keeps growing till taking all available space.