cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hydrating a mailbox with Vault Items - Noisey Items

shocko
Level 4

We are moving some of our mailboxes from Exchange 2016 [Ex2016] to Exchange Online [EOL] in Office 365. In Ex2016 we use Enterprise Vault 12 [EV12] to archive mail. Before we migrate the users mailbox to EOL we re-hydrate their mailbox with the items in the vault so their mailbox contains all items when migrated to the O365 cloud. 

Now when we do this hydration we have found the following nuisances:

1. Old calendar items are re-alerting the user e.g. getting a meeting 'beep' for old meetings
  2. Older items are coming in and increasing the 'unread' count so users think they have new mail but it's old mail
  3. Old folders are re-appearing in the Inbox folder structure

Is there any way to avoid this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Shocko,

As both Marc and Prone2types want to say is that this is how the 'export archive to mailbox' works.

Depending on the amount of archives you need to restore, it might be wise to look at 3rd party tools. I have done 40.000 archives, using Transvault. That allows to migrate an archive to a subfolder in the mailbox, which makes it easier for a user to 'understand' what is from the archive, and what is 'newer'.

I migrated archives to a subfolder called "old archives". I also defined to restore calendar entries to 'old calendar', instead of the actual calendar. Now, Transvault is licensed per amount of TB you need to restore (see Usage.asp for a high level estimate on TB's you need to migrate). 

As you perhaps have read, Veritas acquired Globanet. Veritas now has a tool called Migrate. That could also assist.

Using EV to do it when you have a 'small' amount of archives, you will have to face some user-discussions to explain that the issues you report happen..

Good luck in your journey :)

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Prone2Typos

This and many other licenses are things that migration solutions like Archive Shuttle address. I can tell you that there are properties on messages that you could write an EWS script to update. This may work if you were doing this overnight and the user closed their Outlook.

This is one of the many challeges of doing a migration to o365 when you have been using Enterprise Vault.

Thanks for the reply but that seems like a sales pitch rather than an answer ? :cathappy:

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I think what Prone2Typos wanted to say with this is, that there are specific tools out there that can handle what you are trying to achieve and that EV is not capable of doing this. At least I do also not know a way to avoid your topics with just using EV.

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

GertjanA

Hello Shocko,

As both Marc and Prone2types want to say is that this is how the 'export archive to mailbox' works.

Depending on the amount of archives you need to restore, it might be wise to look at 3rd party tools. I have done 40.000 archives, using Transvault. That allows to migrate an archive to a subfolder in the mailbox, which makes it easier for a user to 'understand' what is from the archive, and what is 'newer'.

I migrated archives to a subfolder called "old archives". I also defined to restore calendar entries to 'old calendar', instead of the actual calendar. Now, Transvault is licensed per amount of TB you need to restore (see Usage.asp for a high level estimate on TB's you need to migrate). 

As you perhaps have read, Veritas acquired Globanet. Veritas now has a tool called Migrate. That could also assist.

Using EV to do it when you have a 'small' amount of archives, you will have to face some user-discussions to explain that the issues you report happen..

Good luck in your journey :)

Regards. Gertjan

Prone2Typos

sorry for the confusion and what those other guys said is true. If that was a sales pitch it was the worst ever! If you persist that way you may accomplish your tasks but with a lot of user facing noise. That is all I was trying to say.

No problem! Thanks for the responses guys.