cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP Server not running

DavidAlvarez
Level 4

After moving the Vaultstores path and starting services the event viewer logged the event:

The Enterprise Vault IMAP Storage process could not be started due to the following error:

IMAP Server not running

Check the privileges on the account that launched the process.

Event ID 41024

And the indexing service is not starting.

I don't see any service with this name and EV services are running with service account.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marc,

I have found the solution, the last error I posted was the key. It seems some EVRT.dlls where corrupted at some point between the last restart and today. As there are 6 EVRT.dll files in different folders of EV installation path, I played a bit doing copies until I found the fault one. Once I did this Index service started successfully.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind Regards,

David.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marcde
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi, are you sure the services are running or did they stop immediately after you tried starting them?

You basically followed the steps described here?

How to Move a Vault Store Partition or Vault Store to a different location on the same server.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016652

Regards

Marc

PMCS GmbH & Co. KG - A Serviceware Company
www.serviceware.de

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick answer.

Yes I followed the instructions in this KB.

And yes, all services start except Indexing service, if I tried to start manually it stops immediately as you say.

Kind Regards,

David

Also another event is logged:

IMAPStorage.exe (Attempt: 3) - Process failed
Exit Code: 0

The process has failed abnormally and will not be restarted. Either the process has exceeded its restart count or automatic restart is disabled. The process can be restarted by stopping and restarting the Admin Service

Kind Regards,

David

Marcde

Hi David,

which events is the Indexing service reporting when you try to start it? Did you restart the server after performing the changes?

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Hi Marc,

Yes I restarted the server. A part from the 2 events mentioned, the event logged when I try to start Index server manually is:

The Indexing Service could not complete all the required startup routines: Could not obtain the service entry identifier for this service. Service will be stopped.

Kind Regards,

David

Hi Marc,

I have run a Dtrace for events:

75 - IMAPServer
76 - IMAPStorage

And the following entry is logged continuously:

1737 10:34:25.124 [5996] (IMAPStorage) <10468> EV-H {IMAPStorageMain.SetIMAPServerEvent} IMAP Server process not running, will try again...
1738 10:34:25.155 [5996] (IMAPStorage) <10468> EV-H {IMAPStorageMain.SetIMAPServerEvent} Getting IMAP Server process

Kind Regards,

David

Hi Marc,

I found another event logged when I restart admin service:

The Enterprise Vault IMAP Server could not start because it failed to load EVRT.dll [Reference: {CIMAPServerModule::SetPathsAndLoadEVRT:#351} ] [Error: 0x8000FFFF]

I tried to run FileReRegister.bat but there is no difference, after running it I tried to start all services but Index service don't start.

Kind Regards,

David

Hi Marc,

I have found the solution, the last error I posted was the key. It seems some EVRT.dlls where corrupted at some point between the last restart and today. As there are 6 EVRT.dll files in different folders of EV installation path, I played a bit doing copies until I found the fault one. Once I did this Index service started successfully.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind Regards,

David.

Marcde

David, glad you found the reason. I just started going through the logs that you've provided. 

The error with IMAPServer.exe is gone as well?

I also found Event 40966 with the issue described here which could be another problem. Is this event gone as well? 

Event 40966 Exception Could not load file or assembly 'PerformanceCountersRCW' occurs when the Storage Service is started/stopped

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100015454

Regards

Marc

www.serviceware.de

Hi Marc,

Yes while I was looking to solve this problem I saw this error too, but it seems it have been happening for a long time so it's not related to the IMAP problem. Anyway I will take a look at the KB you have provided. There no no IMAP problems anymore after solving EVRT.dll problems.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

David.