cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In EV 10 How Do I Drop Indexes For Archives

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

We have stopped using EV to Archive files here and I was wondering how to drop the Indexes related to these now defunct File Archives. We wish to free up the storage.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have you archived any other data besides files? Mailbox, Journaling, Sharepoint, PSTs, etc? if so then your indexes contain more than just FSA data so be careful what you delete.

what are you doing with the files that have been archived? if you restore all the placeholders or dont need them and decide to delete the archives from EV then that process also deletes the corresponding indexes.

View solution in original post

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The index locations will hold both FSA and Mailbox archives indexes, so it isn't as simple as just deleting a root folder.

I would suggest just continuing to to delete the FSA archives and let nature takes it couse.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

You can stop the Index Service and delete the indexes if you think that will help but I would consider the ramifications very carefully.

You will not be able to search for archived items if delete the indexes and if you decide you need the indexes you will either have to restore from a back up or rebuild, which can be very time consuming.

AndrewB

have you archived any other data besides files? Mailbox, Journaling, Sharepoint, PSTs, etc? if so then your indexes contain more than just FSA data so be careful what you delete.

what are you doing with the files that have been archived? if you restore all the placeholders or dont need them and decide to delete the archives from EV then that process also deletes the corresponding indexes.

Ravi_Bhandari
Level 6

Thanks for getting back, yes we have mailbox archiving working.

We started deleting the archives but it hasn't freed up any space on the drive holding the indexes. But to be honest the archive deletion process is taking a very long time.

Is there a way of deleting just the folders that contain index details for only the file system?

TonySterling

The index locations will hold both FSA and Mailbox archives indexes, so it isn't as simple as just deleting a root folder.

I would suggest just continuing to to delete the FSA archives and let nature takes it couse.

AndrewB

nope, that's what i was telling you in my previous post.