Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Place Upgrade of OS

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I have  a customer that wants to upgrade the OS of 4 EV servers from windows 2008 to windows 2012R2 ( these are Hyper-V VM)

Normally I would do an EV Server Move, create the new  VM on the relevant OS and present the old EV storage, use the same name and run the EV setup. This always works

However the customer believes there are issues with presenting the storage using Hyper-V so they cant follow the normal option of an EV Server Move. They want to do an upgrade of the OS directly and I was wondering if this would work based on the following steps

• I can uninstall the EV binaries from the Server but obviously dont remove the Index and VS Data
  • The customer can then upgrade the Windows OS 
  • I can then install the EV binaries on the new OS
  • EV will detect the same Server name and because the old EV Storage is presented it should reconfigure the server 

Will this work and am I missing anything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys

The process works, so the steps are

• Uninstall the EV binaries on each server
  • Upgrade the OS to Windows 2102
  • Reinstall EV and because the server name is the same when you run the EV Config it works as expected and EV does a recovery on the new OS

Problem solved 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I guess the main question would be what support says?

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work (if the in place upgrade is successfull) but there is that "should work" :)

I would still check why they can't move the storage.

If the storage is presented to the current VM's it shouldn't be a big issue to present them to a different VM.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Since they are VM's you can always take a Snapshot and roll back if needed.  Have you seen this blog?  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/chrisavis/2013/10/01/performing-an-in-place-upgrade-of-server-2008-r2-to-server-2012-r2/

Sounds like it might work.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

personally, i've had nothing but issues with hyper-v and snapshots. i wouldn't rely on them. rather take a full backup before you start.

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback

I'll proceed with the OS upgrade and let you know how it goes 

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys

The process works, so the steps are

• Uninstall the EV binaries on each server
  • Upgrade the OS to Windows 2102
  • Reinstall EV and because the server name is the same when you run the EV Config it works as expected and EV does a recovery on the new OS

Problem solved 

I tried to upgrade the OS this weekend but didn't uninstall EV.   However, I ended up with IIS issues.  EVIndex, World Wide Publishing, Windows Process Activation services all would not start.   When opening up IIS Manager 8 I received a CLSID errors as well.   

I rolled back in vmware to 2008 R2 from a snapshot. 

Should I try to uninstall the binaries as well as IIS first?  Then upgrade?   The uninstalling of the binaries is worrying me. 

Should I not worry?  

Thanks,

Gary

GertjanA

Hello Gary,

It is best to create a new entry, refer this thread, then wait for answers. Not many people look at already closed questions to answer.

but, to answer your question. If you uninstall EV, then upgrade the OS, then reinstall EV, you should not have issues. What you need to do is to re-install EV after the OS is succesfully upgraded (including any SP and/or hotfix you had applied). After installing it, start the Enterprise Vault Configuration. When you then enter the EXISTING sql server, the config programm will see it is the existing server, and configure it as it is supposed to be.

some documentation can be found here: How to move Enterprise Vault to a new serr

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Folks

Was there ever an official word from veritas on this?

Reason i ask is we have a production env of 4 EV server and 1 DB that needs to go from 2008 R2 to 2012 and ev11.0.1 to 12.

Obviously this would save us an awful amount of heartache in the process, but we would be wary if theres no veritas stamp on it. Have they release an official how to for this?

VirgilDobos

Hey mate,

We have recently performed similar OS upgrade in a sizeable EV environment with 3 servers without uninstalling the EV and it worked fine. We even logged a case in advance, and support said there is no known issue about this. Hence, we proceeded and it all went fine.

Hope this helps.

--Virgil

VirgilDobos

Hey mate,

We recently performed similar OS upgrade without uninstalling the EV binaries and it all went fine. We even logged a case, and support said there is no known issue about it, so we went ahead and faced no problems.

Hope this helps.

--Virgil