cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-place upgrade of OS running EV 11.0.0.1351 (2008 R2 to 2012 R2)

BigAnvil
Level 5

At the risk of being booed off the forum, I need to ask about an in-place OS upgrade.

Our server running Enterprise Vault (11.0.0.1351) on Windows Server 2008 R2 has some OS issues.  Microsoft is suggesting the only way to fix it is likely to to an in-place upgrade to Server 2012 R2.

The only thing we are using EV for anymore is to run searches against already ingested data.  No new data (no 3rd party unstructured data importing, no archiving, no journaling, etc) is being ingested.  The data has been static since December 31, 2016.  We only search against the EV data from Discovery Accelerator.

I found an outlier forum post from 2014 about someone who essentially did the same thing - an in-place upgrade of the OS from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2.  They said they had some minor .NET problem or something and got it fixed with Microsoft's help but never posted the info about it.

Does anyone know if I can "safely" do this?  There is an excellent reason for not performing a swing migration to new hardware.  While we do have current Veritas supprt for EV (in fact, we just renewed this past week), I wanted to ask here first.

Any help is appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

While I may endanger my IT street cred by admitting it, I have done in-place OS upgrades to EV servers several times, and I have never had a problem come of it. Obviously this is not me saying "I guarantee you will encounter zero problems too." But I think it suggests you may be entitled to some optimism.

--Chris

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

We have also done it once in a sizable production environment and we faced an issue where the Search was not working. We solved it with Support, but I do not remember exactly what was the issue/resolution.

In your case, since you are running EV 11, I would suggest to think it carefully as you may not be able to work with Support unless you have extended support contract. Unless you are planning to upgrade to EV 12 which is supported.

--Virgil