Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index Service fail to start

Daniel_R_
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi guys,

Recently I have had problems with index service because doesn't start.  I have journal running in it with several thousand of items waiting to be indexed.
I have applied some workaround technotes like reset index engine and reinstall EV binaries without results.
Has anyone experienced this issue before?
OS Windows 2012 stand alone server, 8Cores and 8GB RAM
EVault version 12.1

Dtrace:
446 17:27:38.458  [11284] (EVIndexAdminService) <4848> EV-L {IndexingWCFProxy`1} SOAP FAULT: detail xml = <exception time="31" date="1530224858" id="SERVICE_COMMAND" function="vivisimo_load" fid="51" name="service-command" stack-trace="//scope/set-var[@name='result']/scope///function[@name='collection-broker-status']/scope/scope/function[@name='collection-broker-command']/scope/scope///exception[@id='SERVICE_COMMAND']" xmlns="urn:/velocity/objects">An invalid run or command node was provided.  </exception>
447 17:27:38.474  [11284] (EVIndexAdminService) <4848> EV-H {IndexingWCFProxy`1} Exception: The exception [service-command] was thrown. Info: Diag: Type:System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[System.String, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]] ST:   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Runtime.WCF.WCFProxy`1.ReThrowAsTypedFaultExceptionIfAppropriate(FaultException faultEx)|   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Runtime.WCF.WCFProxy`1.Invoke[TResult](Expression`1 method, String server)|   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Common.IndexingWCFProxy`1.Invoke[TResult](Expression`1 method) Inner:None
448 17:27:38.474  [11284] (EVIndexAdminService) <4848> EV~E |Event ID: 41335 An error occured while trying to start indexing engine.|Further error details include: '&lt;exception time="31" date="1530224858" id="SERVICE_COMMAND" function="Enterprise Vault_load" fid="51" name="service-command" stack-trace="//scope/set-var[@name='result']/scope///function[@name='Index Volume-broker-status']/scope/scope/function[@name='Index Volume-broker-command']/scope/scope///exception[@id='SERVICE_COMMAND']" xmlns="urn:/Index Engine/objects"&gt;An invalid run or command node was provided.  &lt;/exception&gt;'.
449 17:27:38.474  [11284] (EVIndexAdminService) <4848> EV-H {VelocityStartStopIndexingEngine.Start} Some of the processes did not start, shutdown indexing engine

Thank you
Daniel 
5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Daniel,

Long shot, but have you applied any OS patches recently? There were some which corrupted IIS, so that might be the culprit.

Regards. Gertjan

Daniel_R_
Level 5
Partner Accredited

it makes sense, I will work in that way.

Thanks

I ran a search on this error in our case history. I checked on the most recent six or seven instances of this exact error and every single one was fixed by either resetting the indexing engine or by adding the proper antivirus exclusions and then resetting the indexing engine.

I hope that helps.

--Chris

Daniel_R_
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you Chris appreciate it.

The index issue has coincided with the automatic install of the .Net Framework 4.7.  I going to reinstall/repair .Net Framwork 3.5 and EV binaries if that does not work then I will opt for Migrate a new server with a fresh install.

Daniel

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

I had a similar problem with an antivirus tool and also with wrong permissions on index locations after a move.