cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index Storage Migration

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

We have a project here to migrate all off our systems that have storage on EMC DMX storage to EMC VMAX. The plan calls for our storage team to copy all data on a DMX drive to the new VMAX drives, remove the DMX drive and assign the new VMAX drive to the server. So for our VAULT servers, I plan on stopping all services let them do the migration and bring up the services again. The drive letters for the Indexes will be the same. Would there be anything else I need to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not familiar with VMAX but that looks good.  As long as the services are stopped you should be okay.  Just make sure all the permissions are the same as they were.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not familiar with VMAX but that looks good.  As long as the services are stopped you should be okay.  Just make sure all the permissions are the same as they were.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Andrew

I have done exactly this DMX to VMAX with indexes, and to out your mind at rest I followed the process you describe above, just remember to disable the EV services as you never know your luck!

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Thanks for the responses. Our migration is scheduled for the 30th. I'll report back on the results

Marco_Randall
Level 3

As long as the drive letters are the same as they were on the old system and you stop the index services post copy (to maintain data integrity) you should have a clean migration.  I've done this using RDM in virtual enterprise vault servers and it's seamless.  There should be no problems going from different platforms because all the system sees is the Drive letter and folder path.  Just make sure that they are identical.

Andrew_Tankersl
Level 6

Thanks for the the replies....

Just to follow up - this went off without an issue. On our first server it was just a simple stopping of the services and letting the storage team move the indexes to the new directory (with the old drive letter).

The second server was a little more involved. We had to move indexes from two drives that were made up of multiple LUN's on to a new drive (single LUN). I of course had to go into SQL and change the settings to point to the new drive for the indexes.