Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Index Total Volume

Cunha_Julio_Ces
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified
Hello Guys,

Please, I have a question about the Index Total Volume.

I have a EV 10.0.2 and my journaling environment is very big, around 1 million Messagens for week. At the moment I don't have a expire policy to reduce this data and the tendency is grow up this volume.

Like Vault Store Partition, I'd like to know if is possible create some index partition to decrease the backup time without affect the functions from EV.
2 REPLIES 2

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

From the Index Featre Brief document for EV 10

When closing a 64-bit Index location, the location is now actually closed and no further data written to it. This concept is very similar to a closed Vault Store partition. No new Index Volumes or indexed data will be added to a closed Index Location. If an archive had an Index Volume in an index location that was closed, a new Index Volume will be created for the archive in an open index location. Daily backups of closed index locations will not be necessary as no new data will be added.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello Julio,

In Enterprise Vault 10, there is a configuration setting that allows you to configure how many items you want per journal index volume. By default this value is set to 5000000. If you are archiving 1 million of items per week, you should have a new index volume every 5 weeks for journaling. If you create more index locations, the index volumes will have the same size because of this setting. If you want to modify this configuration, I'd suggest you to open a case with support since you shouldn't be changing this setting unless your technical support provider advises you to do so. Also, if you close the index location, EV doesn't add more data but you need to exclude the closed locations from your backup job.

Another thing you could try is to modify the backup job setting to perform an incremental backup, but that's something you need to discuss with your backup team.

I hope this helps.