Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing Service will not start

VaultIsSupreme
Level 1

I am getting the following error when trying to start my index services: 

An unexpected error has occurred.

Error Summary: Indexing Service start up error 
Error Details: Filename: \\?\C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVIndexing\www\asp\web.config
Line number: 10
Error: Lock violation

Reference: ServiceBaseEx::Run 
Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Interop.AppHostWritableAdminManager.GetAdminSection(String bstrSectionName, String bstrSectionPath)
   at Microsoft.Web.Administration.Configuration.GetSectionInternal(ConfigurationSection section, String sectionPath, String locationPath)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Admin.IndexingEngineMonitor.ConfigureIndexingApplication(ServerManager IISManager, String UserName, Configuration EVWebConfig)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Admin.IndexingEngineMonitor.ConfigureWebSite()
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.Indexing.Admin.IndexAdminService.OnPerformStartup(Boolean HotRestart)
   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Common.ServiceBaseEx.Run() 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://entced.symantec.com/entt?product=ev&language=english&version=10.0.4.0&build=10.0.4.1189&error=V-437-41293

I am turning up empty handed online and i am also getting no assist from support even though my environment is currently down, on hold now.

3 REPLIES 3

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you remove that web.config file, and try again?

Regards. Gertjan

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Make sure all dependant services are running. IIS, World Wide Web Publishing Service, etc.. Sometimes dependant services are set to disabled and indexing will not start because of this.

EVAdmin2016
Level 4

Check the web.config file Filename: \\?\C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVIndexing\www\asp\web.config on line 10...the error tells you where to look...on this line it's referencing to some file or something that's it been locked etc.

Reboot EV server? Make sure that all services started up correctly etc.