cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indexing not working in Enterprise Vault 11

dhan88ie
Level 3

Hi all,

I am pretty new to Enterprise Vault and I am learning about it. 

Currently I have a very big problem in our environment. Indexing is not working. We have two servers for indexing. Both are in a Index Server Group. In that, one server has been completely taken out from the environment. The other one is still running. I am not able to delete the server which is taken out from the environment from the administration console. When I delete it, I get the error message

The computer contains Services. You need to delete all these Services before you can delete the Computer.

When I tried to delete the Services - I get the error message : "Could not determine if the Enterprise Vault Server running on (server name) is part of a cluster. No such host is known.

When I tried to delete the task associated with that server I get the error message : "The task cannot be deleted because there are indexing operations associated with this task. 

I checked completely and I don't see any indexing task associated with that server.

Event IDs that I get stating indexing is not working are : 41021, 41008, 41011, 41291, 41259

I searched online, but it doesn't give me a correct path to troubleshoot.

My Questions : 

1. Should all the servers in the Indexing Server Group should be in working condition ??

2. If not, the another server is still running, but all the indexing jobs are struck and not moving. 

Environment Information.

EV Archiving Server 

Windows 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack 1

Enterprise Vault Version : 11.0.1.3527

EV Indexing Server

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.

Enterprise Vault Version : 11.0.1.3527

Please help me in this regards.

If any other information, I am happy to provide that.

9 REPLIES 9

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

Have you tried removing the Indexing server from the group?

--Virgil

dhan88ie
Level 3

Yes, I tried to remove from Administration Console, but I am not able to.

Error Message : The computer contains Services. You need to delete all these Services before you can delete the Computer.

GertjanA

Hello dhan.

There are some kb-entries, and forum entries on how to remove a server if it does not remove from the VAC. This requires editing SQL. Before doing anything, set EV in backup mode (indexes and stores), and make sure to have a backup of the databases before you do anything!

One entry (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-remove-ev-services-and-server-vault-console-clust... talks about a cluster, but should work for this too.

also see http://www.veritas.com/docs/000007720,

Open the computerentry table and note down the computerentry id of the EV server that needs to be removed. - make sure you have the correct entry!

Delete the rows in TaskControllerServiceEntry, StorageServiceEntry, ShoppingServiceEntry and IndexingServiceEntry table where the computerentryid is the same as of the EV server that needs to be removed.

Example sql statement-

Delete from shoppingserviceentry where computerentryid = '21F5721AABB777C41BBAC6072CDB6777F1410000EVserver'

Regards. Gertjan

dhan88ie
Level 3

Hello GertjanA,

Thanks for your reply. It is like a new hope for me. We have SQL Server 2012. I am new to SQL too.

Could you please give me the syntax to find the computer entries and delete the entries. I searched and not able to get the correct syntax.

Thanks and Regards,

Dhanveer Ahamed

GertjanA

Hello Dhanveer,

trick question. You really need a DBA, or someone with thorough SQL knowledge to do this.

If you do not have a DBA, I believe you should call Support to assist. If I would tell you, there might always be the risk you do something wrong, and then you have a problem!

Highlevel, and again, better call support!

Open SQL Management Studio.

Expand EnterpriseVaultDirectory, Tables. Rightclick dbo.computerEntry, Script table as, Select To, New Query Window. When query opens, click Execute.

You see servernames, and Computerentryid etc. Note down the computerentryid belonging to the server that has been removed.

Tables: TaskControllerServiceEntry, StorageServiceEntry, ShoppingServiceEntry and IndexingServiceEntry

Use SQL:

rightclick TaskControllerServiceEntry, Script Tanle as, select to, new Query Window.

Below the FROM ... line, add

Where ComputerEntryID = 'computerentryid from query on dbo.computerentry table'

Execute. If it finds 1 row, change query to look like:

delete

from taskcontrollerserviceentry

Where ComputerEntryID = 'computerentryid from query on dbo.computerentry table'

AGAIN! SET EV IN BACKUP MODE! BACKUP DATABASES! CALL SUPPORT (if you are not sure).

I do not take any responsability if you mess up your databases!

Seeing your statement 'I'm new to SQL too', I strongly advise to call support to assist, instead of trying yourself first.

Regards. Gertjan

dhan88ie
Level 3

Hi GertjanA,

Thanks for your help in giving me some guidelines in fixing the SQL. I have deleted the computer entry from Task Controller Service and Indexing Service, But I am not able to delete it from the computerentry table. Because still it has a task associated with it. When I tried to delete the task, it says it has some sub tasks associated.

In the file attachments, I have attached the error message when I am deleting the Index Administration Task in the orphaned server as well as I have attached the number of sub tasks. There are 1034 rows in the sub tasks table. May I know, how to filter the tasks which is mapped to the orphaned server's task ??

Could you please guide me with this.

I very much appreciate your help so far. Please help me in resolving this issue. 

There is only one indexing server right now, but for some reason indexing is not running. I ran the traces and the error message mostly says "THE RPC Server not available" I have also attached the log for you. If you need any other information, please let me know. I am happy to provide the same.

Once again, thanks for help in advance, thanks for your patience with me

dhan88ie
Level 3

Hi GertjanA,

Thanks for your help in giving me some guidelines in fixing the SQL. I have deleted the computer entry from Task Controller Service and Indexing Service, But I am not able to delete it from the computerentry table. Because still it has a task associated with it. When I tried to delete the task, it says it has some sub tasks associated.

In the file attachments, I have attached the error message when I am deleting the Index Administration Task in the orphaned server as well as I have attached the number of sub tasks. There are 1034 rows in the sub tasks table. May I know, how to filter the tasks which is mapped to the orphaned server's task ??

Could you please guide me with this.

I very much appreciate your help so far. Please help me in resolving this issue. 

There is only one indexing server right now, but for some reason indexing is not running. I ran the traces and the error message mostly says "THE RPC Server not available" I have also attached the log for you. If you need any other information, please let me know. I am happy to provide the same.

Once again, thanks for help in advance, thanks for your patience with me

dhan88ie
Level 3

Hi GertjanA,

Special Thanks to you. 

Thanks to all. I removed the orphaned server entry from SQL and reinstalled the indexing module and everything is working now.

I used the below article to fix my issue with indexing

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO59060

Hope this may help someone.

Thanks for your help and support and expecting the same in the future.

GertjanA

Hello Dhan,

Your welcome.

Can you makr one of the posts as 'solution'? That way, other users won't need to go in the question and offer a solution, and others may find this and fix the same issue if it applies to them.

Thanks!

GJ

Regards. Gertjan