Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing SQL Server on the same server as EV with High spec server

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Experts,

Need your opinion on this.. 

I have a high spec machine where we would like to migrate both EV server and SQL server component. Currently the EV server is only archiving 800 users with no journal archiving.

To save on hardware cost can we install SQL server and EV on same server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, that should be fine.  :)  I would still recommend splitting the SQL DB and Logs from the Application drive if you can.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

For a small deployment like that you should be fine.  What is "high spec" though?

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

I meant high specifications... 

Its a Hitachi CB500 compute blade server with 32 core and 48GB RAM.

TonySterling

Yes, that should be fine.  :)  I would still recommend splitting the SQL DB and Logs from the Application drive if you can.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

not to get into a debate about it but you could get a lot more out of that blade by virtualizing and then you'd be able to follow best practice which is not to have sql and ev coexist on the same server.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Thanks Tony. I would surely separate stores, indexes, DBs and Logs. Another plan is to have a local high availability to a virtual machine and remote failover using GCO.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6

Good point Andy. This is something even I had in mind but due to my previous experiences I avoid hosting EV on a virtual machine. Many reason... Most important is once it is a VM the resource allocations would not be in my control and Hyperv would be managed by another team. So they may host VMs on this server and stuff... So i hope you get my point. We would be making use of virtualization to host a failover node only.

Kindly criticize... :)