Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a new EV9 next to a EV8

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

i am tasked with installing our new EV9 environment. After the EV9 server is working, we want to migrate the mailboxes from EV8 to EV9 and then migrate the mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010.

I prepared the server and also installed Enterprise Vault already. I started the Configuration Wizard which asked me about the DatabaseServerName.
Question: The first time, i inserted the DatabaseServerName from the Server where the EV8 Database resides. I clicked "Next" and got something similar like "something is wrong with the database, repairing EV9" and after that the connection from the EV8 to my EVDirectory Database vanished. Pretty uncool, was seeing me restoring the database already.. After chanceling the wizard and restarting the EV8 Services two times the connection did reappear. 

Do i need to put in a new DatabaseServer? Or is there a way to configure EV8 and EV9 on the same SQL Server (without data loss obviously).
I fear to restart the configuration Wizard :(

I dont have much knowledge about SQL..

Anything else i should consider?

greetings

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello vmds,

In short, you wrekced your install of EV8. When you installed EV9, and pointed it to use the ev8 database, it probably upgraded the database, or did some other funky stuff.

The only way to get this repaired is to restore a backup from the databases (yes all of them), from the point BEFORE installing the EV9 server.

Before doing so, you need to uninstall the ev9 server, make sure no ev9 services are running.

When databases are restored, you might want to keep all tasks in report-mode, and run EVSVR to verify integrity of the restored databases.

Doing an inplace upgrade of the 8 machines now will probably create more problems than it will resolve.

sorry to bring the bad news.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

You cannot have different versions of EV within the same directory. To do your plan above you would need a 3rd party tool to migrate from one directory to another. Otherwise you could do a Data only DR to fail the old server to the new server, this is covered n the admin guide

TonySterling

Yeah, the way you are trying to this will not work.  As Marvin said you can do the data only recovery but first you would upgrade your current EV server to EV 9 and then fail over to the new hardware.  That would serve to migrate all your EV archives to the new server. 

You might want to consult a professional to help you work through the process if you are not sure how to do it.

GertjanA

Hello vmds,

In short, you wrekced your install of EV8. When you installed EV9, and pointed it to use the ev8 database, it probably upgraded the database, or did some other funky stuff.

The only way to get this repaired is to restore a backup from the databases (yes all of them), from the point BEFORE installing the EV9 server.

Before doing so, you need to uninstall the ev9 server, make sure no ev9 services are running.

When databases are restored, you might want to keep all tasks in report-mode, and run EVSVR to verify integrity of the restored databases.

Doing an inplace upgrade of the 8 machines now will probably create more problems than it will resolve.

sorry to bring the bad news.

Regards. Gertjan

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Sadly, i still have problems with the Database now.

After the restart of the EV Services i was able to reconnect my EV8 to the Directory Database. I am able to recall items. Now, at 12:00, the Sync task did run producing a lot of errors in the eventlog:

Ereignistyp: Fehler
Ereignisquelle: Enterprise Vault 
Ereigniskategorie: Directory Service 
Ereigniskennung: 8453
Datum: 28.09.2010
Zeit: 12:00:06

The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryService object reported an error.

The error code was 0x80040e14 

===============
Ereigniskategorie: Directory Service 
Ereigniskennung: 13360
Zeit: 12:00:06

An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'EnterpriseVaultDirectory' (Internal reference: .\ADODataAccess.cpp (CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand) [lines {1392,1394,1409,1441}] built Apr 12 00:45:28 2010): 

Description:  

Ungültiger Spaltenname 'ExchangeServerIdentity'.

SQL Command: 
 SELECT eme.ExchangeMailboxEntryId,eme.MbxIdentity,eme.LegacyMbxDN,eme.MbxDisplayName,eme.MbxAlias,eme.MbxNTUser,eme.MbxNTDomain,eme.MbxArchivingState,eme.MbxExchangeState,eme.ExchangeMbxType,eme.MbxWarningLimit,eme.MbxSendLimit,eme.MbxReceiveLimit,eme.MbxSize,eme.MbxItemCount,eme.DefaultVaultId,eme.ExchangeServerIdentity,eme.City,eme.Company,eme.Country,eme.Department,eme.EmployeeType,eme.FirstName,eme.LastName,eme.Office,eme.State,eme.Title,eme.UseQuota,eme.LastModified,eme.EnabledPstImport,eme.PolicyEntryId,eme.PSTPolicyEntryId,eme.PolicyTargetGroupEntryId,eme.PolicyTargetMemberEntryId,eme.ADMbxDN,eme.ExchMbxGUID,eme.MbxStoreIdentity,eme.ADMbxFlags,eme.DesktopPolicyEntryId,eme.MbxSuspended,eme.MoveArchiveShortcutSubtask,ese.ExchangeServerEntryId,ese.SiteEntryId,ese.ExchangeComputer,ese.ExchangeServerADSPath,ese.ExchangeLegacyDN,ese.ExchangeVersion,ese.ExchangeServicePack,ese.ExchangeServerIdentity,ese.ExchangeServerFQDN,ese.ExchangeServerGCOverride,ese.OrganizationEntryId,ese.ManualAdminSecurityDesc,ese.OverrideFlags,ese.DefVaultStoreEntryId,ese.DefIndexingServiceEntryId FROM ExchangeMailboxEntry AS eme JOIN ExchangeServerEntry AS ese ON eme.ExchangeServerIdentity = ese.ExchangeServerIdentity WHERE eme.LegacyMbxDN = ?

Additional Microsoft supplied information:

Source:       Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 
Number:       0x80040e14 
SQL State:    42S22 
Native Error: 00000207 
HRESULT 0x80040e14

Both of those errors appear a lot in the eventlog. 

I am also unable to manually store items into the vault. I get the error "Could not process the selected items. Reason: A Server error has occured."

Any ideas? Would it help to do an in place update to EV9? (As this will update the databases too?)

//Edit
also found this after restarting the admin service:

Ereigniskategorie: Admin Console 
Ereigniskennung: 8390
Zeit: 13:48:27
Beschreibung:
The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error.

Allgemeiner "Zugriff verweigert"-Fehler  (Access Denied)

===========================

Ereigniskategorie: FSA Reporting Service 
Ereigniskennung: 24655
Zeit: 13:48:44

FSA Reporting cannot work on this file server. The version of Enterprise Vault that is on the  Enterprise Vault server is older than the version of the FSA Agent that is on this file server.  Upgrade the Enterprise Vault server to a compatible version. 

For me it looks like the Directory Database awaits a EV9 Server, while the acutal Server connecting is a EV8 Server.

I would like to try an inplace Update:

a) Stop the EV8 Services
b) create a Snapshot of the VM
c) copy & paste away the EV Databases
d) inplace update
e) pray

Any suggestions?

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Would i need to restore the Vault Partition Database too? Or Only the EnterpriseVaultMonitoring, Audit and Directory Database?

If i have to restore the Vault Database, whats with the items on the EV Server itself? (Vault Store Partition on the File System).

What happens to the items that got archived last night?

The EV9 services are deactivated already.

Want to add:

A small warning message at the configuration wizard that gives a hint like "Database on Server detected - do you -really- want to overwrite?" would be much appreciated :(

//Edit:

I would like to try the following:

According tp page 351 of the Admin Guide:

a) Stop the EV Services

b) restore the Directory Database

c) start the Directory Service

d) run EVSVR

c) run Tasks in report mode for a week

GertjanA

If you're lucky, the only database being attempted to be upgraded is the directory database. Personally, if ev8 starts without problems, no events, having tasks run in reportmode for a day (24 hours) should be enough.

You might want to call support to be sure.

Regards. Gertjan

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

EV8 starts without problems except of

Ereigniskategorie: Admin Console 
Ereigniskennung: 8390

and

Ereigniskategorie: FSA Reporting Service 
Ereigniskennung: 24655

beeing generated.

I can recall items within outlook just fine, just storing items into the vault generates the error message from the post above. Synchronizing generates lots of these 13360 and 8453 events. So, hopefully it is only the Directory Database, if i am unlucky its also the Vault Store DB. At the moment our backup administrator is working on restoring the directory database. If that doesnt help we will try to restore the vault store as well. And if it still fails, we will open a support ticket.

vmds
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Restoring the Directory Database solved the issue. Tasks in report mode running fine not generating any errors.

Noticed what i did wrong there (still, a little notification in the configuration wizard would be much appreciated!) and we are planning the update process different now.

Thanks for the help

GertjanA

Hello vmds,

Glad to see that you are ok now.

Good luck with the upgrade

Regards. Gertjan