cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing reporting services only

Tobbe
Level 5
Hi.

I'm trying to install EV reporting services on a machine that is currently running as a dedicated discovery accelerator server.
However after installing SQL reporting services and running the EV 2007 setup.exe, the installer gives me the opportunity to check "Enterprise Vault Reporting" which is what I want, but also checked are "Enterprise Vault Services" and "Administrative Console".
I cannot uncheck any of them and if I go ahead with the installation it errors out stating that I need MSMQ installed.

Now, this is obviously happening since I have a DA installation. I do not want to add more EV services to this machine, but I cannot uncheck it either when running setup.exe.
I only want to add the reporting function but how can I achieve that in this scenario? Is there a standalone installer for the reporting service only somewhere on the media?

Thanks in advance,

/Tobbe
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hay Tobbe,

So even if I run the installer on a different non-EV server it would still require me to install MSMQ as a prereq and the EV services and admin console, a.k.a. "full
install" when all I'm aiming at is adding the reporting service?

That is correct, you will need all the prerequisite.

I was under the impression that the installer picked up the fact that some EV binaries are already installed and that is why the EVservices and Adminconsole is prechecked and greyed out, however that causes the installer to run the "full install", which would not be the fact if I run it on a fresh/other non-EV server? Perhaps this is what your trying to say?

No this is not correct, when you run the installer it does not check what is already installed.

I guess that uninstalling msmq after the installation is going to get me into more work in service-pack times, and future upgrades so if there's no way around this it will have to stay installed.

I guess you could uninstall it, but you would looking at supportability issues and as you say each time you wanna install a service pack you will need to install it all again.  Besides that I don't see why you don't wanna install MSMQ, it does not use resources, by having it installed.  Enterprise Vault will not be using it so yea, no resources lost.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 There is no standalone installer for EV Reporting.

The EV install will only install the EV Admin service - and you can set it to disabled after the installation.
I also don't see any issues with uninstalling MSMQ after the EV installation has completed.

Tobbe
Level 5
Thanks John.

Actually, the EV admin service is already installed, and disabled on this system so there's got to be more to it than that?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
You cannot just add the Reporting function, you will always have to do a "full" install, even thou you have the normal services installed the installer does not have the ability to "add / remove" functions.

Just install it all and disable the services again, like John said.

Tobbe
Level 5
Thanks Wayne.

So even if I run the installer on a different non-EV server it would still require me to install MSMQ as a prereq and the EV services and admin console, a.k.a. "full install" when all I'm aiming at is adding the reporting service? 

Am I understanding you correctly here?

I was under the impression that the installer picked up the fact that some EV binaries are already installed and that is why the EVservices and Adminconsole is prechecked and greyed out, however that causes the installer to run the "full install", which would not be the fact if I run it on a fresh/other non-EV server? Perhaps this is what your trying to say?

I guess that uninstalling msmq after the installation is going to get me into more work in servicepack times, and future upgrades so if  there's no way around this it will have to stay installed.

Again, thanks for your time and efforts.

/Tobbe

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hay Tobbe,

So even if I run the installer on a different non-EV server it would still require me to install MSMQ as a prereq and the EV services and admin console, a.k.a. "full
install" when all I'm aiming at is adding the reporting service?

That is correct, you will need all the prerequisite.

I was under the impression that the installer picked up the fact that some EV binaries are already installed and that is why the EVservices and Adminconsole is prechecked and greyed out, however that causes the installer to run the "full install", which would not be the fact if I run it on a fresh/other non-EV server? Perhaps this is what your trying to say?

No this is not correct, when you run the installer it does not check what is already installed.

I guess that uninstalling msmq after the installation is going to get me into more work in service-pack times, and future upgrades so if there's no way around this it will have to stay installed.

I guess you could uninstall it, but you would looking at supportability issues and as you say each time you wanna install a service pack you will need to install it all again.  Besides that I don't see why you don't wanna install MSMQ, it does not use resources, by having it installed.  Enterprise Vault will not be using it so yea, no resources lost.

Tobbe
Level 5
Perfect answer.

I just wanted to verify that I'm not adding more services than needed by choosing to install this on the DA server, than if I 'd used a different machine.

Regarding the MSMQ part, I'm always reluctant to add functions that isn't needed. The more stuff you add, the more things that can break.
A bit negative and dull I know but hey, I do preferr to sleep well at night :)

Again, thanks for clearing this out.

/Tobbe