cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irregularities in scheduled task "Archiving and shortcut processing"

Tifosa
Level 4

Morning,

Over the last few weeks we have seen a huge increase in storage within our environment and we need to understand if it's just normal use or whether something is broken.

This is just one example from one of our servers and a single user, however it seems to affect;
Server - EV2
Archiving Report Date - 09/08/14
Items Archived - 1037146 (4964MB)
Mailbox Completed - 3626
NOTE: We have a few different policies. Our Default which covers 90% of people (archive everyone older than 5 months). We also have a 3 month policy and a 0 day policy for all leavers mailboxes (this is controlled by our leavers/disabled OU)

...and...

Server - EV2
Archiving Report Date - 10/08/14
Items Archived - 958075 (6521MB)
Mailbox Completed - 3626

Now just selecting a single user here, I'll call her "UserX"...

EV reported UserX had 25284 items (322.6mb) in her mailbox on 09/08/14, of which it apparently archived 38273 (266.1mb)... How is this possible?

...and...

On the 10/08/14, EV reported UserX had 25289 items (325.1mb) in her mailbox, of which it apparently archived 36438 (424.9mb)... Again how can it archive more items than it has in the maibox???

When I check her mailbox there is nothing strange in there, no stange archive dates confirmed. She has confirmed there are no PSTs being imported etc.. What we are seeing is our storage being decreased dramitically everyday and I need to understand what is going on quickly...

What I have noticed is when Calendar archiving is enabled some really strange stuff happens. When I just run a report on a mailbox it reports that 1000's of items are ready for archive when clearly they are not. When the archive task actually runs and I look at the A1 queue, all the items "being archived", are items that are ALREADY archived! - hence they are already appearing in Archive Explorer. I have had to disable calendar archiving to stop this from happening, however my fear is that for some reason EV is archiving already archived items.

Is there any way we can check to see what is happening and where all our data is going?

Thanks

Our Configuration
EV Version - 10.0.4.1189
5 EV Servers (single site)
Windows 2008 R2 SP1

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What are the list of message classes that are getting archived?

Maybe you have selected ipm.note.enterprisevault as a type that will get archived, so the shortcut which is created the first time through is archived on subsequent runs too.  (though i'm not sure it will actually happen)

Working for cloudficient.com

Tifosa
Level 4

To add to my above example, see the below for a leavers mailbox (this user is configured for a 0 day archive policy);

Report Date - 08/08/14
Mailbox Name - Shaharun, Azwan
Archiving Status - Partially processed: pass limit reached
Mailbox Policy - Zero Day Mailbox Archiving Policy
Initial count of mailbox items - 4437
Initial size of mailbox (KB) - 15302
Items archived - 3976
Size of items archived (KB) - 6470
Final estimated mailbox size (KB) - 15302

Report Date - 09/08/14
Items archived - 40000
Size of items archived (KB) - 65040
Final estimated mailbox size (KB) - 15302

Report Date - 10/08/14
Items archived - 39958
Size of items archived (KB) - 65351
Final estimated mailbox size (KB) - 15309

How can it be that a mailbox that has already been "archived" down to a 0 day archive (and yes I've checked the mailbox to ensure that every item is archived, which it is), is archiving an extra 40000 items a day???

Surely something is not right here... Is EV archiving already archived shortcuts? If so I need to stop this ASAP as it is eating our disk space...

Tifosa
Level 4

HI Rob,

Here are a list of all message classes we have selected for archive;

IPM.Activity*
IPM.Document*
IPM.InfoPathForm*
IPM.Note*
IPM.Note.Custom.Cisco.Unity.Voice
IPM.Post*
IPM.Task*
REPORT.IPM*

Will the IPM.Note* archive everything that starts IPM.Note? We haven't changed this from the very first default installation

Thanks

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think it's okay.

Could you share some screenshots of your archiving report (with blurred bits is okay)

Working for cloudficient.com

Tifosa
Level 4

Hi Rob,

See attached for the last 3 days of reports...

Thanks

Tifosa
Level 4

FYI - The user in my example in my second post is - Name2877