cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Virtual Vault required to integrate with WDS?

konrad
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

I did not find any clear information: is Virtual Vault required to integrate EV outlook add-in with Windows Desktop Search?

When I enable Vault Cache without Virtual Vault I cannot search the content of cached items.

When I enable Vault Cache with Virtual Vault the content of VV is indexed and I can use WDS to searche do Vault Vache / Virtual Vault.

Is it possible to use WDS to search Vault Cache without enabling Virtual Vault?

EV version: 9.0.1

Outlook: 2007 and 2010

Exchange: 2007

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What order did you install WDS versus the EV Outlook Addin?  In EV 9 (not sure, yet, if it's 9 base, or 9.0.1+) onwards the installer checks for the WDS version at install time, and only installs the protocol handler if WDS 3 or higher is detected.

So if you install the EV Outlook Addin THEN windows desktop search that might be the reason for not having the .DLL i mentioned previously.  And without that DLL registered with WDS, then, you don't get Symantec Vault Cache in the list of locations in Indexing Options in Control Panel.

Can you first of all check :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search

That should tell you which version of WDS you have installed.

If it's 3+ then, try uninstalling the current Outlook Add-in.. make sure the EVClient folder is removed after installation (it should be automatically).  Then install the client again, but use MSI Logging to generate a log file :

msiexec /i "name of the msi" /l*V c:\logfile.log

And if you don't get the protocol handler file (the DLL I mentioned before) .. post the log file, please.
Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Whilst we are currently investigating an issue with regards to searching (Instant Search) and Virtual Vault/Vault Cache..  so your results "may vary" (as they say in marketing speak).  What bit-ness of Windows and Office are you testing with ?

If you use 32 bit Windows and 32 bit Office, you should be able to add / see Symantec Vault Cache to the list of Indexing Locations in Indexing Options in Control Panel.  Then if you have Vault Cache configured to get content, and store it locally, it'll be indexed, and available by WDS.  

So that's the full content of the items in Vault Cache.

In the mixed bitness world it should be possible to index, and search (outside of Outlook) the "header" information only when you have Virtual Vault enabled.  The limitation there is that the thunking through from 64 bit windows to 32 bit office isn't something that WDS works well with .. okay it doesn't work.  It's something we are looking to workaround in the future, but at the moment, there isn't a way, as far as I know, to index the FULL CONTENT (ie Vault Cache) when you're in mixed bitness mode.

konrad
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you very much for that information!

There is 32-bit version of MS Office is in almost all workstations. The Windows Vista/7 are also 32-bit versions, but there are some workstations with 64-bit OS. I am testing it on Win7 64-bit with 32-bit MS Office 2007 installed. According to your information it does not work as for now. I'm going to check it at clear 32-bit workstation (os+office).

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

If I remember rightly (from yesterday) WDS searching OUTSIDE of Outlook will work regardless of bit-ness.. but what you get depends on whether or not you have VV enabled and your bitness mixture.

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

OK, I've tested it in a clear 32-bit env. (WinXP SP3 + Office 2007) with Vault Cache enabled and NO Virtual Vault available to users. Unfortunately - in that configuration - if I right-click magnifier (WDS) in taskbar and choose "Windows Search Options..." --> Modify , dhere is NO Virtual Cache location option.

If I enable Virtual Vault, it appears in Locations in WDS, but I want to search only in Vault Cache, with Virtual Vault disabled to users.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is your EV Desktop Policy set to Force WDS "On" ?

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes - I have "WDS search auto-enable" set to "Force on".

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So in Control Panel -> Indexing Options, you don't have Vault Cache listed as an option ?

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Exactly - I haven't! Vault Cache is synchronized witch any problems (viewed from Outlook menu Tools/Enterprise Vault), but in Control Panel -> Indexing Options there is no "Vault Cache" location. If I enable Virtual Vault, in lLocations it is Available as mailbox folder.

Maybe the reason is language-localized environment? 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Try running this from the command line in the EVClient folder :

rundll32 OfflineVaultPH3x_en.dll,EVOfflineVaultAddProtocol

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You don't have : 

OfflineVaultPH3x_en.dll

?  

On a client machine?  Can you attach a directory listing?

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Maybe this is strange, but I Haven't such a dll in EVClient folder (nor on workstation and even EV server). I'll try to find it somewhere in net.

OK, of course I haven't found it on net. Any ideas why there isn't in EVClient folder?

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes, I have no OfflineVaultPH3x_en.dll.

Here is directory ilsting:

C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient>dir

Katalog: C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient

2011-01-14  15:51    <DIR>          .

2011-01-14  15:51    <DIR>          ..

2010-11-24  02:26            1 166 544 DesktopClientCache.dll

2010-11-24  02:26            336 080 DesktopCommon.dll

2010-11-24  02:26            456 400 EVMSP32.dll

2010-11-11  10:36            197 511 evuser.chm

2010-11-11  10:36            293 667 evuser2010.chm

2011-01-14  15:51    <DIR>          Languages

2010-11-24  02:31            32 464 ResetEVClient.exe

2010-11-24  02:26            4 473 040 Valkyrie.dll

2010-11-24  02:26            1 895 632 Valkyrie_pl.dll

2010-11-24  02:26            1 723 088 VaultMessages.dll

9 plik(ów)      10 574 426 bajtów

3 katalog(ów)     426 758 144 bajtów wolnych

C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVClient> 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So I *think* it is because you have Outlook 32 bit, and Windows 64 bit.  In that combination you can't index Vault Cache data.

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

No way, because I have Windows XP in language-localized version, and - as You surely know - only En version was released as 64-bit.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I don't understand what you mean.

The Enterprise Vault 9.0.1 EARLY RELEASE client was English only, and worked on both 32 bit Office, and 64 bit Office.

The normal Enterprise Vaultl 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 releases have a HTTP add which work on 32 bit Office and 64 bit Office, and are localised in to all normal languages that we support.  You can see this on the media :

In your earlier posts you've mentioned two versions of Office at least and several versions of Windows, so can you please summarise which version you are interested in, and I can phrase my reply specifically around that.

However like I said, indexing via Instant Search and / or WDS is dependent on the bitness of Windows, the bitness of Office, and whether or not we're talking of the meta data (eg Virtual Vault) or the full content of messages (eg Vault Cache)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay, yes, that should work.. let me just check by installing the Polish EV Outlook Add in on one of my test boxes, and see what files drop on to my machine.

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I apologize for all that mess in my replies.

Summarise, I'm interested in marriage EV 9.0.1 Polish add-in with XP PL 32-bit, Vista PL 32-bit and Office PL 32-bit.

I have a lab environment with WinXP 32-bit and Office 32-bit connected with EV 9.0.1. This environment - as You said - should allow to use Vault Cache as a indexed Location for WDS searching.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Hmm, the file we're after is offflinevaultph3x_pl.dll... and it doesn't get dropped on to my machine either... I am investigating :)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

What order did you install WDS versus the EV Outlook Addin?  In EV 9 (not sure, yet, if it's 9 base, or 9.0.1+) onwards the installer checks for the WDS version at install time, and only installs the protocol handler if WDS 3 or higher is detected.

So if you install the EV Outlook Addin THEN windows desktop search that might be the reason for not having the .DLL i mentioned previously.  And without that DLL registered with WDS, then, you don't get Symantec Vault Cache in the list of locations in Indexing Options in Control Panel.

Can you first of all check :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search

That should tell you which version of WDS you have installed.

If it's 3+ then, try uninstalling the current Outlook Add-in.. make sure the EVClient folder is removed after installation (it should be automatically).  Then install the client again, but use MSI Logging to generate a log file :

msiexec /i "name of the msi" /l*V c:\logfile.log

And if you don't get the protocol handler file (the DLL I mentioned before) .. post the log file, please.