cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a planned release date for Enterprise Vault client for Outlook 2011? (Mac)

bsuk_2
Level 2

Even a ballpark figure would be most useful.

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It'll be on FileConnect "soonnnnnn". And they'll be plenty of announcements about the EV 10 release.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There is no date yet, no.

Goonless
Level 2

It would be really useful to know what the roadmap looks like for the EV server/ Add in clients and Mac email client.

Can anyone at Symantec please give direction to any communications relating to Ev or Outlook 2011 for Mac products?

When purchasing the Enterprise Vault solution, every indication was given that it supported Mac archived email retrieval.

Now all I can see is that it is not such a supported solution for Mac Users, only Microsoft.

We have a mixed environment, many Users connect using Outlook 2003/2007 so their fine but there are about 50 Mac User's that require access to their archive mailbox data.

Web browser connections are not an option on Mac's so this cannot be used as a Workaround. IE 6 or higher is required

Entourage 2008 Web Edition only seems work if you now use the EV 9.0 Mac Add in and if you change all the archived email shortcuts to include the link option (building the X Header information into the shortcut)

This does not seem to be a well documented area, is there any indication that Symantec will be improving this?

Cheers

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I've asked Product Management to comment, hopefully it'll be in the next day or two.

Alex_Brown
Level 5
Employee

Enterprise Vault 9.0 offers full support for Entourage 2008 EWS edition running on either Leopard or Snow Leopard OS X. The EV client gives end users the ability to seamlessly open, archive, restore, delete and search items to/from/in their archive.

The EV for Entourage client offers shortcut operations, such as open, by parsing the URL in the body of the shortcut to determine where the item should be retrieved from and then using that URL to do the retrieval. This is the case where the EV for Entourage client is installed after mailbox archiving has occured.

In the case where the EV for Entourage client is already installed before archiving occurs, it registers itself with the Enterprise Vault server and from that point all archived item shortcuts have additional information appended to their headers which give the EV client all the information necessary to locate the item in EV (things like VaultID and SavesetID). In this case having the universal shortcut URL embedded in the shortcut is not necessary and any shortcut type can in fact be used.

----

Regarding Outlook 2011, then this is something we are actively working on right now. Outlook 2011 is a brand new, and very recently released, email client (not an Entourage upgrade) and as such represents a new client for Enterprise Vault to support. We understand that uptake in the market will likely be aggressive and we are therefore working towards getting a client operational and in market as quickly as possible. Stay tuned for more information in the coming months.

Goonless
Level 2

Thanks Alex but we are not seeing a seamless integration with entourage Users.

A support call was raised with the Symantec Helpdesk as the Mace EV clinet off the EV 8.04 CD was not performing as expected.

The Server is 8.04, we're using Entourage 2008 Web Edition and the EV Mac Entourage Add in is now off the EV 9.0 CD and the only way to get the archived email shortcuts to open is if they are rebuilt to include the "Include Link" option. So the shortcuts needed to be rebuilt to include this X Header information.

Some more history for you.

Previously we had archived everything without the include link option in the shortcut, then a decision was made that too many people were just clicking on this link rather than opening the archive email to retrieve it. It was causing more suport calls as Users couldn't manage their email as they could when it was unarchived. So we removed the link.

This meant that any new shortcuts were created without the link included, so when i was testing the EV Mace add in I had shortcuts with and without to test with now.

A support call was raised as no shortcuts could be retrieved using EV 8.01 mac client. I was advised to upgrade the client from 8.04 (2002) to the client off the 9.0 disk. Doing so now meant that i could now retrieve archived email in full but only the ones that included the link in the shortcut.

Changed the registry and rebuilt my shortcuts without the link and confirmed that none would open.

Repeated but now including the link and confirmed that now all shortcuts open using the EV 9.0 mac client.

So now my solution is to create a seperate Provisioning group and mailbox policy just for Mac users.

But with reference to seamless, can you please confirm whether this means it should be the same as when using the MS Outlook 2003/2007 clients?

What I am seeing with the Mac client is that you open Entourage and enter your domain credentials, then you need to click on the EV icon by the clock on the toolbar to login in to EV. Once logged in you still cannot just double click on any archived email shortcuts to retrieve them, you need to us the EV toolbar to View, Reply or Forward.

Cheers

Stephen_Woolley
Not applicable
Employee

Sorry to hear of the problems you've encountered with EVs Mac client support.

The expected behaviour - when opening a shortcut item in Entourage 2008 - is that it will not retrieve the archived item in the same way that Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 does.  Unfortunately, it is not possible for Entourage to behave in the same way that Outlook on Windows does as Entourage does not support the use of Custom Forms like Outlook does.

You are correct in that you must enable the EV toolbar to log-in to Enterprise Vault before you can use the View, Reply, Reply All, Forward, icons to perform those actions against items archived by EV (if you don't include links to archived items in your shortcuts).  If you included the links to the archived items in your shortcuts, you would not need the Mac client at all since your Mac users would be able to perform all actions - with the one exception of manual archiving - from that.

Best wishes,

Steve

dsearsiss
Not applicable

Is there any update on a release date for the Enterprise Vault client for Outlook 2011 for Mac?

Marius_Dreyer
Not applicable

Hi,

Any updates from Symantec?

Regards,

MArius

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

since this thread is still open and i just spent all day getting MacOS running in vmware on my pc :) i thought i'd chime in and let you know that support for Outlook 2011 for Mac is expected to come with the next release: EV 10.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Yep AndrewB is correct.

Kiss_Tamas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I hope, EV10 will support Outlook 2012!

I don't know, what is MS plan with Office for Mac, but i think in 2012, when EV10 will be available, the Office 2012 (2013?) for Mac already released.

Regards,

Tamas

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

As far as I know EV10 is expected somewhere in Q3 2011 (juli/august/september), and not in 2012...

You could ask your PM at Symantec for a more precise time-frame.

Regards. Gertjan

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

ok, where and how can I download the EV Client please ?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

august 1st is the release date for EV10. just a couple more days!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It'll be on FileConnect "soonnnnnn". And they'll be plenty of announcements about the EV 10 release.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can this issue be marked as resolved now?  Office 2011 Support is in EV 10.. and EV 10 is now released (via FileConnect)