cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to archive Journal MBX as part of regular MBX archiving?

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have 1 exchange DB, archive set to "whole exchange organization", and customer is wondering if he creates a Journal mailbox will it be archived as well as part of the regular MBX archiving.

I didn't reaserch on the subject. but my guess is that exchange flags a Journal mbx and so EV knows to not archive it through regular archiving.

Am I right about my guess?

Sarah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Andrew,

I checked, and Journal mailboxes will NOT get archived in regular archiving task.

Furthermore - in the provisioning task it skips the Journal mailboxes and simply writes in the provisioning report "Skipped Journal Mailbox".

which is what I thought from the beginning, as it makes sense that exchange "flags" journal mailboxes, and so they are not picked for archiving, whether there is a journal task on ev or not.

Sarah

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

in EV you add the journal mailbox as a target and assign it to a journal archiving task. when EV enables the mailbox for journaling, the properties are written to a hidden message. that's how it knows not to process the journal mailbox with the others.

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

and if I want the Journal MBX to be archived as a regular MBX - I simply leave it as part of the "whole exchange organization"?

As this is a small Journal MBX and we don't see a reason to purchase adittional licences.

AndrewB

in that case it wont be treated as journal data and you're not journal archiving. if you only have one provisioning group with whole exch org, it'll be archived like a regular mailbox with shortcuts created after x days, etc. the mailbox will fill up with messages by the time the archiving task kicks in and you'll likely have issues. and most importantly, you wont capture the envelope data and wont have ediscovery capabilities.

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I understand, however this is a very very tiny Jounal mbx, no worries about this MBX size.

AndrewB

the other concerns still apply. if it's that "tiny' and the customer needs to keep the journal data for ediscovery purposes, a handful of journaling licenses costs a drop in a bucket compared to the legal issues they could face for not being able to find the data they need. there's no way to cheat around the journaling feature. mailbox archiving works differently. if you look up a technote that describes how Exchange journals emails, you'll see they have multiple parts called envelopes (P1 and P2) where the original email is "wrapped" as an attachment around a special email that contains additional header information with BCC and DL membership info. unless you journal archive in EV, it wont be captured as such in the system.

Sarah_Seftel1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Andrew,

I checked, and Journal mailboxes will NOT get archived in regular archiving task.

Furthermore - in the provisioning task it skips the Journal mailboxes and simply writes in the provisioning report "Skipped Journal Mailbox".

which is what I thought from the beginning, as it makes sense that exchange "flags" journal mailboxes, and so they are not picked for archiving, whether there is a journal task on ev or not.

Sarah