cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to retrieve policy deleted e-mail?

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Hello EV Gurus,

I have a client that stated that his Outlook e-mails have "disappeared".  I walked him through the admin console, and he saw that their policy is set to delete archived e-mail after 6 months.  He wants to change this policy to keep e-mail "forever", and wants to retrieve the deleted e-mails.  Is this possible?  If so, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks!

-John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

OK, I was afraid of that.  This is a very new client that has not had a backup of EV yet.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Restore from backup, deletion after all does what it says on the tin

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

What are the steps in performing this?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

there's an entire section in the admin guide that outlines the process

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

I looked through the EV 8.0 Sp4 Admin Guide (Symantec Doc 351419) in the Recovery section, but could not find the restoration steps for e-mails to their respective mailboxes.

AndrewB

the way i see it, you'd have to restore your environment (in a lab, perhaps) to a time before the emails were expired, export the data you're looking for to PST (in the export options you can choose a date range) and then import the PSTs into your production archives.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

I think that these e-mails are still within the 14 day retention period.

AndrewB

i believe the retention period you're talkning about is for user deleted items

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

As Andrew has stated.  You must restore the EV environment from backup then export the respective archive to PST.  Now, if expiry runs daily that means for each day you'll have to rerrun the restore, export process; if expiry runs weekly you'll only have to restore the environment from the backup prior to the expiry.

Also the "deleted item retention" only applies to user deleted items, not normal expiry.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

OK, I was afraid of that.  This is a very new client that has not had a backup of EV yet.

AndrewB

you probably thought of this but i'm just throwing it out there - you could use your exchange backups if they are old enough