cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Migrating Huge PSTs

sparthans
Level 3

Hi,

I'm migrating a bulk of PST files located under a file server partition to EV 12.5, for that I'm using "PST migration: Locate and Migrate" everything is happening smooth for the small PST (< 4 GB) however I'm facing a failure with the big PSTs ( > 8GB) the migration is failing with error "could not copy pst file the specified network is no longer available" even though the location is totally valid!!

Any recommendation for migrating those big PSTs and are there any settings I should tune on EV to make it work?

thank you for your valuable feedback,

10 REPLIES 10

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sounds like there might be some kinda of network latency causing you issues.  How many are there?  If not too many, you could use the PST Migration Wizard.  

it's too many more than 200 PST, do you think could be causing it to disconnect or timeout (antivirus, firewall, ...), I really need to find a way to move those PST and can I trace what's causing the issue to happen?

GertjanA

Hello,

I am not sure which version you are using, but for the latest releases you can use 'scripted migration'. This allows you to copy the PST files to a central location, and then use a script to define which PST goes where, assign retention etc.

For 14.1 see https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/95955885-146263331-0/v11744427-146263331

This is the same for 12.5, but check your documentation folder for the version specific configuration.

Regards. Gertjan

so the scripted migration is the only way to migrate big PST files? and why it doesn't work using "Locate and Migrate"?

Has anyone been using this method to migrate big PST, there has to be a way to make it work? and what's the difference between "PST migration wizard" and "Locate and Migrate" c I tried the manual import it's working for the big PST?

Prone2Typos

I have heard of projects succeeding but as a person who worked for a company selling a solution competing with the native functionality I can tell you there are several projects I know of who have kicked off enterprise scale migrations with this native functionality and it falls apart for a number of reasons at scale. Large PST files is one of them. I am not saying it is not possible....but it is not uncommon for people to get deep into this to realize they cannot do what they are seeking with it. Have you investigated your specifics with support?

Indeed it seems the native "Locate-Migrate" is not without its issues, I'll try the EVPM script and see what happens, hopefully will get a better outcome.

Hi,

most of the large PSTs are failing with the same error messages:

1. Insufficient access to copy PST to the holding folder even though the PST collector task has full access to the PST and the holding folder.
  2. Could not copy PST file: the specified network name is no longer available.

what is going wrong here I cannot migrate any PST larger than 5 GB, I have an antivirus agent running but the firewall is stopped, any idea how to make it work?

Prone2Typos

I think you will need to DTrace or BackTrace the issue to really get more details. That is a generic windows error message that has a history of mis-representing issues in EV. the assocaited hex can be meaningful, and frequently it implies access is denied or expected access unavailable or lost IMHO.

Hi,

the issue is happening even for small PST, always getting the same errors during the copy/migration phase:

could not copy pst file the specified network is no longer available

or 

Migration of PST xxx, exception: could not copy PST from PST holding folder to PST migrator task's temporary file folder, the specified network is no longer available

Anyone faced those issues before using server-side migration "Locate and Migrate" and how to overcome c it's affecting a huge amount of PST files?

Prone2Typos
I think anyone who does a large-scale migration with this methodology experience is that these issues. I think the problem is that the error is not descriptive enough for you to figure out what's going on. In order to further isolated I think you'll have to find a client where this is frequently occurring on and do appropriate server side logging while collecting client logs for impacted PST files. Take a small sampling and hope that you find commonality between the problems. If you do seek to address that and wait for the next frequent occurring one. Honestly, it's a little bit of whack-a-mole in my experience. With enough persistence and effort hopefully you can get the majority of the outstanding files addressed and manually remediate whichever stubborn ones you can't figure out. That's my advice. I did PST migrations almost exclusively for 3 years.