cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue migrating EV databases to new SQL server

pj483
Level 3
I am moving the EV databases between SQL servers and have hit an issue at the store reconfiguration stage. When entering the new SQL instance name I get the error:

Could not get service status
Enterprise Vault Storage Service

This service is not running at the moment as the migration instructions indicate shutting down all of the services except the Directory Service (which consequently starts the Admin Service).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I assume you followed the documentation, and have updated the directory database and the fingerprint database already. To reconfigure the Vault Store database(s), you should be able to do just the below. If that fails, then run Deployment Scanner, and enter only the NEW sql information. See if all SQL checks are green.

Stop the Enterprise Vault Storage service.

Move the vault store database to the new SQL Server.

Make sure that the Vault Service account has the correct permissions to access the new database.

In the Administration Console, right-click the vault store whose database you have moved, and click Properties.

Click the Database tab.

In the SQL Server box, enter the name of the new SQL Server.

Click OK.

Restart the Enterprise Vault Storage service.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi.

Yes I’ve followed all the instructions to this point and there are active connections in the fingerprint database on the new server. I have also done exactly as you say for the update of the store’s location but that’s when I get the error I reported.

I’ll give the Deployment Scanner a try, though.

Thanks.

Deployment Scanner reports issues with collation and the absence of SQLXML. The collation of the EV databases are consistent with each other but different from that of the instance.

Would either of these cause the issues we're seeing?

Thanks again.

OldEmployee
Level 5

I saw a similar error during the mgiration.

I had to login to the server which holds the Vault store and make this change. Ofcourse the directory services had to be started fully (8192 event) on that server.

My servers are on EV 11.

Hi. Sorry when you say "make this change", what change do you mean?

GertjanA

absence of sqlxml is no issue if you do not use FSA Collation issue is going to be problematic! do not continue if the collation mismatch is indeed existing!

But, it might be a false alarm. Can you paste the exact lines for a database pls?

I just ran it on an EV I know has collation issues. If you have a red cross with SQL Collation, and the lines show:

sqlserver, port: Unmatched default SQL collation: Server: Latin1_General_CI_AI; 

databasename database: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

then you have to make sure that the collection of the NEW server matches the collation of the OLD server, or at least the collation of the databases. If you do not have the same collation, you WILL run into trouble. Upgrading for instance will not be possible.

Regards. Gertjan

Yeah, the server collation is certainly different from the database collation:

EV.jpg

May have to look at a dedicated instance for EV :(

GertjanA

Most definitely.

For each DB you have 2 entries. Are these the same SQL server, or are they different?

If the same, you *might* be fine. The you need to check in SQL. Check the server collation. Then check all databases for their collation.

If you still have support, call VRTS. They can investigate if you are ok. I personally would not want to risk having a mismatch. It means you can not upgrade anymore, and might give some troubles down the line.

Regards. Gertjan

Yes, all of those databases are on the same SQL instance. However this seems like a bad idea to leave the configuration mismatch so I will look to create a dedicated instance with the same collation across the instance and databases. Thanks.

I've created a new instance with the same collation and now everything is green in the Deployment Scanner but I'm still getting the same problem. I'm wondering if it's the instance name that's the problem, given that the error comes up immediately. I've tried:

• SERVER\INSTANCE
  • SERVER,port#

but both of them fail. I'm wondering if the application supports instances with this naming convention or if it can only be in the format:

• SERVER

Thanks again.

GertjanA

Hello again,

Good to see you now have green ticks everywhere!

For the instance, I have the following:

servername.domain.com\instancename,portnumber

sqlserver.mydomain.com\evault,12345

Works fine.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks for that. Was hoping this was some unsupported functionality biting me. Guess not :(

pj483
Level 3

Would it be possible to make the connection updates via ODBC and/or registry changes to circumvent whatever issue appears to be causing this alert?

GertjanA

If you moved all databases to the new server:

edit registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Directory\DirectoryService, value SQLSErverName to read the servername+ the instance+portnumber (server\instance,port)

then use C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, system dsn. Verify all are correct. Here wyou will see portnumber.

Regards. Gertjan

Thanks for that. Tried it but unfortunately the original value is still reported inside the Administration Console. I presume it must be stored elsewhere which is why the AC is the documented way to update it.

Ended up deconstructing the PowerShell script which is referenced in https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH35744. This identified the SQL table that needed to be updated to perform the same task as the Administration Console would have done.

So far all seems to be working.

Still got one problem I can't address. The Enterprise Vault Accelerator Manager Service is still configured to point to the original database server. I manually updated the *.config files to get the service to start but when I go into the Symantec Accelerator Manager and select the properties, the Database Details point to the original server.

The form does not appear to be editable and the value isn't stored in the config files - I've checked again.

Any ideas how I can update these values?

GertjanA

Hi, again,

Can you recheck, following the below document?

edit config files DA after SQL database move

Regards. Gertjan

I'd done the config files but not the database update.

Thanks.