Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Services Hosted

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner

Hi All

I have an issue and I would some advice to resolve it

I have a customer running EV 7.0 SP1 .Another company did the installation and I want to upgrade but have picked up a strange configuration problem

There were originally 2 EV servers with Alias name EVSERVER and EVSERVER2 pointing to 2 separate EV  server host names  .The customer removed one EV server physically from the environment and must have changed the DNS alias    and now both  EV Alias point to the same Host name .I want to remove the one EV server from the VAC ,the problem I have is I see EVSERVER  with Servives Running , and on EVSERVER2  I see Services Hosted in the VAC .All Tasks are running on EVSERVER2. If I try to delete EVSERVER it says I must remove the services first .However when I stop the services it stops the actual services on the live box .I am worried by deleteing the services it will effect the system data e.g Index Location data

How do I change in the VAC  the fact that EVSERVER2 says Services\Hosting ?I only want one EV server in the VAC?

I have tried deleting the alias name for EVSERVER and running USL ,all that does is it says "can't connect to EVSERVER ..which is obvious as the alias name doesn't exist

I know this seems a little confusing ,Im trying to explain it as simply as possible  :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

It looks like the spell checker did some magic on that e-mail...

"-Then ran the following queries to identify the Service entry I's we need to put in the registry:"

Should read "Service entry Id's"

Please note:

If you're planning on following those steps, only do so in the scenario that Bruce has described where the old Enteprise Vault server no longer exists and you've done a building blocks failover.

And be very careful when running delete queries against any of the Enterprise Vault databases - if you break something without consulting support and don't have a backup, you're on your own!

If you aren't sure about this kind of thing it is better to contact support first.

Frank Beck

Symantec Enteprise Vault Technical Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner

Hi Guys

I logged a call with Symantec around this and  had excellent support  very promptly .Here is the resolution

Run the following SQL queries:

select * from computerentry

-Identified the ComputerEntryId corresponding to the Old Enterprise Vault Server and the New Enterprise Vault server

-Ran the following SQL queries to identify the services we wanted to delete:
select * from shoppingserviceentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'
select * from indexserviceentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'
select * from storageserviceentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'
select * from taskcontrollerservideentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'

-Then ran the delete queries:
Delete from shoppingserviceentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'
Delete from indexserviceentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'
Delete from storageserviceentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'
Delete from taskcontrollerservideentry where computerentryid = 'OldEVServerComputerEntryId'

-Then ran the following queries to identify the Service entry I's we need to put in the registry:
Delete from shoppingserviceentry where computerentryid = 'NewEvServerComputerEntryId'
Delete from indexserviceentry where computerentryid = 'NewEvServerComputerEntryId'
Delete from storageserviceentry where computerentryid = 'NewEvServerComputerEntryId'
Delete from taskcontrollerservideentry where computerentryid = 'NewEvServerComputerEntryId'

-On the Enterprise Vault Server, we corrected the "ImagePath" entry for each of the corresponding Enterprise Vault Services as in HKLM\CurrentControlSet\services\<EVserviceName>
-Refreshing the console shows no more services on the old Enterprise Vault server, and all services are "Running" on the new server
-Deleted the old server from the console with no errors

Frank_Beck
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

It looks like the spell checker did some magic on that e-mail...

"-Then ran the following queries to identify the Service entry I's we need to put in the registry:"

Should read "Service entry Id's"

Please note:

If you're planning on following those steps, only do so in the scenario that Bruce has described where the old Enteprise Vault server no longer exists and you've done a building blocks failover.

And be very careful when running delete queries against any of the Enterprise Vault databases - if you break something without consulting support and don't have a backup, you're on your own!

If you aren't sure about this kind of thing it is better to contact support first.

Frank Beck

Symantec Enteprise Vault Technical Support