cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item has been archived by Enterprise Vault

Paris
Level 3

Hi,

I have an interesting question for you …

In our environment we have Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP1 installed and is archiving from Exchange 2003 SP2.

Now we do not want to install to the clients (computers) the EV Users Extensions ( EVclient_en.msi), but when a user double click on an archived item, the we “see” only the shortcut content and the message “Item has been archived by Enterprise Vault”.

If we install the Users Extensions the behavior of the double click inside outlook is correct. The archived item opens and we see the entire message (from EV 7.0)

Our problem is that we don’t want to install it, because we have to distribute it to 16.000 users. Imagine what a nightmare…

Does anyone have a suggestion to make? Maybe we need to upgrade to 7.0 SP3? Or to 2007 SP1?

Regards,

Paris.

7 REPLIES 7

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Paris

Just set your shortcut policy to "Customize" -> "Add Link to view archived Item", as well as "Download format" to MSG.

I think this could work.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Paris
Level 3
Hi Michel,

I made these two (2) changes (the download format to msg + the add link to view archived item) but when I click the «view original item» link it still opens with the IE. On the upper right corner of the email inside the IE I see all the Enterprise Vault buttons.

Do not forget that I do not have the Evclient_en.msi installed and in the policy I enforced all the EV buttons to be hidden.

So I imagine that the client doesn’t receive the policy....

Cheers,

Paris.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Paris

The Shortcut policy does not reach already archived e-mails.
It's only for newly archived Items.

Could you try that?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Paris
Level 3
Ηι Michel,

just tried that....

I noticed that exists an ViewMessageOptions.asp file inside the Enterprise Vault IIS virtual directory... can you check this?

Cheers,
Paris.

Brian_Day
Level 6

@Paris wrote:

Hi,

I have an interesting question for you …

In our environment we have Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP1 installed and is archiving from Exchange 2003 SP2.

Now we do not want to install to the clients (computers) the EV Users Extensions ( EVclient_en.msi), but when a user double click on an archived item, the we “see” only the shortcut content and the message “Item has been archived by Enterprise Vault”.

If we install the Users Extensions the behavior of the double click inside outlook is correct. The archived item opens and we see the entire message (from EV 7.0)

Our problem is that we don’t want to install it, because we have to distribute it to 16.000 users. Imagine what a nightmare…

Does anyone have a suggestion to make? Maybe we need to upgrade to 7.0 SP3? Or to 2007 SP1?

Regards,

Paris.

If you have 16,000 users then surely you have software deployment software of some kind (Or at the least use a software deployment GPO with active directory). Why in the world would you not want to install it? :)

Viam
Level 3
If you do not want to install the client software then you will never be able to double click a shortcut and have it open the original.  The shortcut will open and you will need to click the link (Assuming you have included a link) and this will open the message rendered in IE.   This is by design and as far as I am aware has not changed throughout the resleases.

If you want to be able to double click the shortcut and have the original mail open then you must deploy the client extentions, however, you do not have to install the msi package as you can deploy the lite client (http only in v2007) by using activeX.  There are full details on this in the install guide

Feitor__Luis
Level 2
To have the desired behaviour it is needed the EV extensions.
But you have so many ways to deploy them.
You only need to choose the easy one or the best one to you.