Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journal Archiving İssue

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

We are archiving Exchange Journal Mailbox. When we check inbox we see 3 types of message class.

Pending archive around this counts for two days. Also we observe very old date emails from 2018 in this group. What should we do about old emails.

And couldn't find any information about pending archive part message.

Thanks

inbox.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

part are usually messages with shareable items.

Seeing old items indicates an issue with archiving these. They might be somehow corrupted, causing EV to 'hang'. I would do the below. In the Journal Archive Policy, set the "Pending Shortcut Time Out" to 0. Sync the journal mailbox from the task. Set the task in report mode, restart the task.

Verify items return to being normal items. If that fails, you can use a (free) tool called DocMessageClass to reset the messageclass. Set to IPM.NOTE, and also change icon.

When you have only ipm.note in the mailbox. Stop the Journal task. Create a folder in the Journal Mailbox called 'old items'. Move old items from inbox into this folder.

Clear the checkmark in report mode, start the task. Verify items are archived from inbox. When it is back to normal level, you can move a few of the old items back into the inbox, and monitor if they get archived.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA

Hello,

part are usually messages with shareable items.

Seeing old items indicates an issue with archiving these. They might be somehow corrupted, causing EV to 'hang'. I would do the below. In the Journal Archive Policy, set the "Pending Shortcut Time Out" to 0. Sync the journal mailbox from the task. Set the task in report mode, restart the task.

Verify items return to being normal items. If that fails, you can use a (free) tool called DocMessageClass to reset the messageclass. Set to IPM.NOTE, and also change icon.

When you have only ipm.note in the mailbox. Stop the Journal task. Create a folder in the Journal Mailbox called 'old items'. Move old items from inbox into this folder.

Clear the checkmark in report mode, start the task. Verify items are archived from inbox. When it is back to normal level, you can move a few of the old items back into the inbox, and monitor if they get archived.

Regards. Gertjan

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello GertjanA

I  changed all items to IPM.Note then moved items older then today another folder. I am observing for 20 minutes until now pending and pending.part message classed created and msmq with numbers but it seems it is not archived anything and Ev storage Queue empty.

I run dtrace against journal archive I see constanly:

61063 15:08:25.043 [18372] (JournalTask) <16368> EV:M Original Message Class not found - looking for PR_MESSAGE_CLASS
61064 15:08:25.043 [18372] (JournalTask) <16368> EV:M GetOriginalMessageClass (d:\builds\13_\ev\vh-12.3-m\sources\source\common\source\mapicommon.cpp) failed [0x8004010F]

Stuck here :(

Thanks

GertjanA

Hello again,

Did you change the Outlook version on the EV server by any chance?

The eventid indicates an issue with MAPI.

As example, see this KB

Regards. Gertjan

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello again GertjanA

After waiting long time we accually understand it seems archiving but I dont know why it is not show any thing on ev storage queue.

Isolation old emails work for us and number reduced as usual count. Now we are going to try old e mail to archived.

Thank you for your help.

GertjanA

Hello to you too.

There are a few checks to see if archiving is occurring.

1 Inbox Journal Mailbox, when sorted on message class (collapse groups), is the counter if items moving (less ipm.note. more ipm pending archiving, less pending archiving, oveall count going down).

2 - MSMQ, are J1 to J4 moving

3 - storagequeue, check properties on the storage service in console. It might be your storage is so fast, you don't see items in/out of the folder itself.

Regards. Gertjan