cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journal Vault with unlimited retention now needs to be limited

ImAlwaysSmiling
Level 4

Our organization uses journaling.  We have an unlimited retention category for the journal vault.  Now the organization has decided that we would need to only have 1 year retained in the journal.  The journal vault size is pushing 2TB currently.  Is there a way to start purging the journal vault a little bit at a time?  Basically need to know how to start with maybe a 10 year, then a 5 year, etc... purge.  Any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, it is resource intensive so you might want to schedule it on a weekend outside of your archive schedule.  You could run this query against the Journal Vault store to see how many items you have by year.  This give you the age of items by the item date, so if you are basing expiry on Modified date, it will work.

select "ItemDate" = left (convert (varchar, IdDateTime,20),4), "Count" = count (*)
from saveset
--where IdDateTime > dateadd("hh", -24, getdate ())
group by left (convert (varchar, IdDateTime,20),4)
order by "ItemDate" Desc

If basing expiry by Archive Date use this one.

select "ArchiveDate" = left (convert (varchar, ArchivedDate,20),4),
"Count" = count (*)
from saveset
--where ArchivedDate > dateadd("hh", -24, getdate ())
group by left (convert (varchar, ArchivedDate,20),4)
order by "ArchiveDate" Desc

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TonySterling

The length of time is set on the Retention Category so when you adjust the time on the category it will take effect immediately so the next time storage expiry runs items the meet the criteria will be removed.

So if you change it to 10 years and you have mail older than 10 years in the journal they will be expired when Expiry runs.

ImAlwaysSmiling
Level 4

That's what I thought.  However, what if I have 1 million items that meet that criteria?  Will it take my system to its knees or is there some sort of throttle setting that I can set?  I appreciate your time.

TonySterling

Yes, it is resource intensive so you might want to schedule it on a weekend outside of your archive schedule.  You could run this query against the Journal Vault store to see how many items you have by year.  This give you the age of items by the item date, so if you are basing expiry on Modified date, it will work.

select "ItemDate" = left (convert (varchar, IdDateTime,20),4), "Count" = count (*)
from saveset
--where IdDateTime > dateadd("hh", -24, getdate ())
group by left (convert (varchar, IdDateTime,20),4)
order by "ItemDate" Desc

If basing expiry by Archive Date use this one.

select "ArchiveDate" = left (convert (varchar, ArchivedDate,20),4),
"Count" = count (*)
from saveset
--where ArchivedDate > dateadd("hh", -24, getdate ())
group by left (convert (varchar, ArchivedDate,20),4)
order by "ArchiveDate" Desc

ImAlwaysSmiling
Level 4

That's great.  Even running this query will take a while right?  There is almost 2TB of data.  That in itself will be intensive going through all of the indexes.  Is there a way to check each index rather than the whole journal vault store?

TonySterling

The sql will take a bit to run against the database but it doesn't run against the EV indexes themselves.

How many items are in the journal vault store?  I mean the number of items, not the size.

ImAlwaysSmiling
Level 4

There are two Journal mailboxes that go to the one journal vault store and they equal a total of 29,844,467 items.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I would seriously recommend taking it down by increments So if you've had EV for 6 years and you won't a 1 year expiry, I would ru. Expiry at 6 years, let it run a couple of times, the. 5 years, run, 4 years, run and so on and so forth
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

TonySterling

Agreed with JW2 in regards to gradually lowering the expiry date.

I don't running the sql query would be too much overhead on your sql server.  I was running queries last week against a journal vault store with over 50 million items and they were taking just a few minutes.

ImAlwaysSmiling
Level 4

I was looking to do it in increments.  I wasn't sure what the impact on the system would be or if possible at all.  We would like to run in report mode to see how much space we could regain by doing such increments.  We use Snap manager and when there are significant changes, we fill that space as well.  So if we could get an feel for how much space we would free up by doing an expiry incrementally that would give us some numbers to work with.  This is going to take a while I'm sure.

ImAlwaysSmiling
Level 4

I will give the SQL Query a try.  And the org with 50 million makes me feel better about my system...

ImAlwaysSmiling
Level 4

We ran the SQL queries and got some odd results.  We actually migrated from Groupwise to Exchange 2007 in 2009.  So we got results from the two queries and decided to start a expiry based on Archive date of 34 months which removed 21 items.  I was expecting quite a bit more.  However it is a start.  Now we are going with 32 months and the expiry did not find any items to delete.  Is there something that needs to be done to make the expiry find the items?  Do I need to resychronize or something since I actually created a new retention category and assigned it to the journal?  Any assitance is most appreciated.

ITEM DATE

Here is what we got for Archive date which is more realistic.