cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journal archiving- Want to keep journal mailbox mails on exchange server only post archiving

MM2014
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Dear Team,

We would like to perform journal archiving (traditional not SMTP) from our newly created EV 12.2 environment.

The customer is not yet confident on EV hence want to keep the journal archiving emails on exchange server as it is post journal archiving. Can we do this? As per my knowledge post journal archiving original copy of journal mail gets deleted from the exchange server.

Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

You can't. But.. If you use Exchange 2013/2016, you can use DAG for the database where the Journal Mails reside. Make the 2nd or 3rd replica a lagged copy (7 or 14 days). Provision sufficient diskspace for that! (based on expected amount of mail coming in).

As remark, the Journal Archiving has been around for ages,and if you do it from a Journal Mailbox, items will get archived without issues. You will see items failing to archive, but these get moved to specific folders in he mailbox when necessary. I am at a large bank, this has never been an issue.

With SMTP archiving we look at other risks, not using that at the moment, but for 'regular' journal archiving, fire and forget :)

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

You can't. But.. If you use Exchange 2013/2016, you can use DAG for the database where the Journal Mails reside. Make the 2nd or 3rd replica a lagged copy (7 or 14 days). Provision sufficient diskspace for that! (based on expected amount of mail coming in).

As remark, the Journal Archiving has been around for ages,and if you do it from a Journal Mailbox, items will get archived without issues. You will see items failing to archive, but these get moved to specific folders in he mailbox when necessary. I am at a large bank, this has never been an issue.

With SMTP archiving we look at other risks, not using that at the moment, but for 'regular' journal archiving, fire and forget :)

Regards. Gertjan

I wonder, on the Exchange side of things, if you can 'journal' to a distribution list, with two members.....

Working for cloudficient.com