cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling Backlog - Journal Mailbox Recently Moved to Exchange 2013

tmurray1
Level 5

Hello.  I am running EV 11.0.1.3706.  We have recently moved the journal mailbox to Exchange 2013.  We are constantly getting a backlog of items, in the journal mailbox, waiting to be archived.  Over 160,000 items in the journal inbox now whereas the number would normally be 20,000 items awaiting archiving.  The journal task is ingesting items, just continue to have this backlog.  I am thinking about setting up SMTP archiving.  Can I expect better performance with SMTP archiving?  Please send comments.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

I am using the same version. I'm using 6 archiving servers, and each server has 4 tasks, each task has 2 Journal Mailboxes to archive. I archive about 2.8 million items a day, having about 1000 items in backlog each morning.

You might need to think about using mulitple Journal Mailboxes, to distribute the load. You might want to look at the hourly archiving rate. Perhaps there is one or more messages causing this slowness..

To answer your question on SMTP archiving. That is a lot (and I mean a lot!) quicker than archiving from Journal Mailboxes. Using SMTP archiving, you take away the connection from EV to Exchange, which can be a bottleneck, and you no longer have those mapi-properties to be indexed. If you get a chance to use SMTP archiving, I would most certainly do that. You'll be pleasantly surprised...

Regards. Gertjan

Hi Gertian.  Thanks for your response.  I have one journal mailbox and one journal task.  Yesterday's hourly rate of items processed was ~14,000.  333,010 items were processed in a 24 hour period.  There could be some email messages causing the slowness but the large mailbox size makes it difficult to troubleshoot now, will just hang.  Do you know if I can have both journal archiving and smtp archiving running at the same time and until the journal task backlog clears?  I am wondering about how we will cutover to smtp archiving.

Thank you.

Hi Gertjan.  Can I have two journal tasks with two different journal mailboxes pointing to the same vault store and partition?

Thank you.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Tim,

Ofcourse you can. I do advise to create a new archive for an additional Journal Mailbox, but that can be in the same VS as the other. Partition is used by VS, so if you have 1, 10 or 1000 archives in the VS, they will all be using the partitions defined in the VS..

Using Journal MBX archiving and SMTP archiving alongside, I don't know. My personal idea would be to split it (set up a new EV server in the same EV Site for SMTP archiving), but that is your call.

I assume the question about the archives and partitions is because you want to start using a new Journal  Mailbox, and have the old one cleared out by the running task.

Regards. Gertjan