cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling server: failed SAN disk issues

yarg
Level 4

Hi,

We have an EV9 server which we use for journaling our Exchange 2010 environment.  Over the weekend we experienced SAN hardware failure which has knocked out two LUNs presented to the EV server: one LUN for the index and one for the journal partition.  I would like to get EV up and running again before doing the restore of these disks, due to the timeframes involved.  I tried to create a new journal partition but this fails because the storage service is stopped.  Every time I try to start the storage service, it stops immediately.  In the EV logs in Event Viewer we see the following:

The verification of Partition Network Shares failed. 
Info: The device or directory does not exist.  (0x80070844) 

The research I have done suggests that it is looking for an xml file when the service starts; that xml file is currently missing because of the failed disks.

Is there a way to get EV journaling again before we do the restore of the failed disks?

Thanks,
G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi yarg,

The Storage Service will not start because there are the Vault Stores partitions missing. I would not suggest to create a partition and use a configuration file from another partition so the Enterprise Vault server would think that the partitions and indexes are available, because it will create a bigger issue. My suggestion, bring the LUNs back online and let EV process the backlog in the mailboxes as usual.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi yarg,

The Storage Service will not start because there are the Vault Stores partitions missing. I would not suggest to create a partition and use a configuration file from another partition so the Enterprise Vault server would think that the partitions and indexes are available, because it will create a bigger issue. My suggestion, bring the LUNs back online and let EV process the backlog in the mailboxes as usual.

I hope this helps.

yarg
Level 4

Ok, thanks for the advice.  We have to wait for a restore of 6TB of user data to finish before we can begin restoring the EV partitions, so was just hoping to get EV journaling again quickly to prevent the build up of mails in the journal mailboxes.  Guess we'll just have to wait...

Thanks again,

G