Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling task fails to start

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
Hello,

I are trying to set up journal archiving on Enterprise Vault 8 SP2. However, the journaling task fails to start. The eventlog displays the following error:

---
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category:    Journal Task
Event ID:    3305
Date:        9/29/2009
Time:        2:49:34 PM
User:        N/A
Computer:    Servername
Description:
The Task 'Exchange Journaling Task for Servername' failed to log on to Exchange server 'Servername' using mailbox 'SMTP:journaling@xxx'. Please ensure the mailbox has not been hidden, that the server is running and that the Vault account has sufficient permissions on the server.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp
---

I have setup EV as is written in the documentation. In other words, these steps:
■ Creating a journal vault store and partition
■ Creating a journal archive
■ Adding permissions to the journal archive
■ Adding an Exchange Journaling task
■ Reviewing the journaling policy settings
■ Adding an Exchange Server journal mailbox as a target
■ Starting the Journaling task

We have a second server which runs EV and is dedicated for mailbox archiving. The mailbox archiving task on that server runs without any problems. I have checked the permissions on the target Exchange server and the store, but everything seems fine. The service account seems to have full controll (+ Send As & Receive As) permissions.

Does anybody have a suggestion on why the task fails?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello mmmore

What Liam and I are saying is that it appears that the VSA does not have the proper permissions (as you also found yourself)

Doublecheck the permissions of the VSA. It should not be in Domain Admin, or any other admin group.

My EVservice account is in a conatiner called services, as a 'normal' user. Only member of users.
I granted the VSA within the Exchange Management Shell the 'full exchange administrator rights' with extra 'send as/receive as'

That will allow me to open other mailboxes, create profiles etc.

You have to resolve this first. Did you run deploymentscanner on the new journalserver before installing ev?

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA
Hello mmmore

A quick check might be to login as the Vault Service Account, create a profile for the journal mailbox, and login to it.
If that works, do the same for the Vault System mailbox (which you ofcourse have made and put on that server too ;-))

Then retry

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I agree with Gertjan you must login to both mailboxes in Outlook to create an outlook pofile on the journal server for both the Journal mailbox and the system mailbox before journaling will work

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
Hello Gertjan,

I tried to open the mailbox as you mentioned, and indeed, I cannot open the mailbox in Oultook using the credentials of the EV service account.

When I look on the Security tab on the mailstore in Exchange 2003, I see that the service account has Full Controll permissions and no denies. Also, when I check the mailbox rights, in the AD Users and Computers mmc -> Exchange Advanced -> Mailbox rights, I see that the service account has Full mailbox access.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
After the suggestions of Gertjan and Liam, I found out that I forgot to create a system mailbox on one of the Exchange servers. So I created another account/mailbox on that particular Exchange server (which is responsible for hosting the journaling mailboxes), gave it the appropriate permissions and configured this mailbox in the Journaling task on the EV journaling server.

When I now try to start the journaling task, I still have the same behaviour. The task still fails.

Any suggestions how I can get journal archiving to work?

Many thanks.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Did you create a profile in outlook on the EV server that will be doing the journaling for both the System Mailbox and the Journal mailbox and successfully login to both mailboxes using the service account with outlook to create email profiles?

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
Hello Liam,

I have created a mail profile and tried to login to the mailboxes of the system mailbox and the journaling mailbox. Both failed with the credentials of the EV service account. I do not understand why that is, because I believe I have set the permissions appropriately. Also, when I check the AD Users and Computers MMC, and go to the mailbox rights section, I see that the EV service account has full mailbox access. So everything should be in order then, right? I made a screen shot which can be viewed below.

connect/imagebrowser/view/image/1030851/_original

Is there any place else I can set the permissions, or maybe another way I can check if I have set the permissions correctly?

Thanks

GertjanA
Hello mmmore

What Liam and I are saying is that it appears that the VSA does not have the proper permissions (as you also found yourself)

Doublecheck the permissions of the VSA. It should not be in Domain Admin, or any other admin group.

My EVservice account is in a conatiner called services, as a 'normal' user. Only member of users.
I granted the VSA within the Exchange Management Shell the 'full exchange administrator rights' with extra 'send as/receive as'

That will allow me to open other mailboxes, create profiles etc.

You have to resolve this first. Did you run deploymentscanner on the new journalserver before installing ev?

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

mmmore
Level 4
Partner
My apologies for responding so late. I was not in the office the last couple of days and did not have access to the network.

I'm happy to report that the problems is solved. It seems that the EV service account was made a member of the Active Directory Administrators group. This caused that the account had some explicit denied permissions, although this was not visible in the Exchange System Manager console. Removing the account from the group, and thus making it a plain 'Domain User' account solved the issue.

Looking back, this was an obvious issue. However, I knew that making the account an Administrator would cause problems, and I'm not sure how the account became a member of the group (mayby a colleague...)

Thanks Gertjan and Liam for you help!