Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling task placement and migrate Journal archive

Vlad2010
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I would like to ask if there is still requirement to have dedicated Journaling server or it can coexist with Exchange Archiving server? EV 10.4 in use right now.

Second question is What would be best approach to migrate Journaling archive to dedicated server?

Here is situation I have.

Ev 10.4 runs both Exchange archiving and Journaling, but Journaling is stopped. We want to migrate EV Exchange archiving and Journaling to new Win 2012 and upgrade to 11.1.

I done migration with Exchange archiving. Would this be same process or different one. Purpose is to separate Exchange and Journaling to run on dedicated servers.

Can use Move Archive future, but it take long time for 1000 users

Thank you in advance

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

One way is to stop journaling to the current journal archive.

Setup a new Vault Store on a new server, and a new journal archive, and start journal archiving there.

That would solve your problem no?

Working for cloudficient.com

Vlad2010
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for reply,

My goal is it use same Vault store, but to change location of partitions which will be on new server dedicated to Journaling. No decision yet is to activate Jourmaling, but for now preserve data only and activate if need.

Also to change location for Journaling Index volume which want to move to new Index server (same new server).

This is EV11.0.1 and somehow i cannot use Change location as do not see Indexes on new server.

Cannot find instruction for Ev 11 How to move single index volume to different server on same site for Ev 11.0.1

Thank you

To move the indexes you need to put them in backup mode, copy them to the  new location and update SQL with the new location.

Are you set up to use Index groups, if so it greatly complicates the process.

JRuss
Level 3
Employee

Hello Vlad2010,

To answer your questions

Q1: is it still requirement to have dedicated Journaling server or it can coexist with Exchange Archiving server?

A1:

I am inferring from your post that your first question is as follows:

• Currently, is there a requirement that you have dedicated EV servers for Exchange Journal Archiving and Exchange Mailbox Archiving?  If this is the question then the answer is no, Exchange Journal Archiving and Exchange Mailbox Archiving can co-exist on the same Enterprise Vault server.  As long as the server has enough resources to handle the load you should be fine.

Q2: What would be best approach to migrate Journaling archive to dedicated server?

A2:  Given the answer to Q1 and you still need to migrate Exchange Journal archiving to a dedicated server.  Your best option would be to upgrade/migrate the existing server to windows server 2012 and upgrade to EV 11.0.1.  Then build out another Win2012 server, install EV, add it to the EV site and create a new Vault Store, and Journal archive.  Leaving the existing Journal archive where it is, if you create the vault store in the same vault store group and configure sharing at the vault store group level OSIS would occur with any new data archived.

If there is no need to move the existing journal archive to the new server I would leave it where it lies.  If there is a legal discovery performance issue, I would utilize move archive to move the existing journal archive to the new vault store after creating the new journal archive.  Then the amount of time it would take to move the existing vault store would not matter.

Vlad2010
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank you for your reply.

My preference is to leave Journaling on current server. If FSA requires in future then new server will be build to accomodate this.