cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Larger Shortcut Size

Jan_Bach_Kasier
Level 3
We are in the process of piloting Enterprise Vault for Email archiving - we are now running 8.0 SP4. My mailbox has been archived and i am now archiving my PST files.

Everything seems to work fine - the arching and afterwards shortcutting, but i think the shortcuts are rather big. We have made a custom shortcut (100 characters, no banner, no displayed attachments and recipient information inclued), but the shortcuts in the mailbox are about 8-12 KB's in size. I have heard a lot of people talking about 2KB sizes.

Do somebody has any experience on this matter - can more be done to make them smaller (besides changing the number of characters). Can someone out the tell me what there shortcut size nomally is - this way i have a chance to compare.

Another detail - the shortcuts from the PST archive is betweeen 4-5 KB.

Best regards,

Jan
3 REPLIES 3

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
One thing that can affect shortcut size is the recipients as Enterprise Vault by default leaves the recipients on and they can add up to several K or much more depending upon the message.  As a test you could change the recipient policy on shortcuts and see how this affect you rmessage size.

You could also look at the shortcuts you created via 3rd party MAPI tools like Outlook spy but that's all pretty low level.

Mike

Jan_Bach_Kasier
Level 3
Unchecking the "Recipient" didn't give me much - the mail i archived with the new settings i 9KB.

Any other tweaks?

Best regards,

Jan

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee
Hi Jan,

it's kind of tricky to give you specifics on what will help as the shortcut content will vary based on what is in the original message. A good example is if you are using a custom message template then we will leave the custom template definition in the shortcut to avoid corrupting the shortcut. Also if there is some binary data that would cause problems if we strip it then that too will stay in the shortcut. Looking at my mailbox with similar settings to your own I am seeing shortcut sizes of around 5-8k on average, but without seeing an example shortcut it would be hard to pin down exactly why your shortcuts are slightly bigger