cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load balancing to improve performance?

doctortt
Level 6
Hi all. I'm a newb to Enterprise Vault.  I have a EV 7.5 server and SQL server. If users retreive their archives in Outlook, and the config points the users to the only EV server that I have i.e. ev.test.com, what are some ways I can do to achieve redundancy and load balancing?

For example, if the only EV 7.5 server that I have is dead, I will also be dead because I have no redunancy of EV, and the users will not be able to retrieve email archives. 

In addition, If I have 350 - 400 users in the email community, I'm a little concern about performance issue. My EV server is a HP Proliant DL380 G4 Dual 3.4Ghzwith 2GB of ram.  The SQL server is a quad core xeon 2.33ghz with 20GB of ram. Currently, there are only 50 users using EV. I'm worry that If I put the rest of the users (350) to enterprise vault, there will be performance issues if they all hit the EV box at the same time.
4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

You should make yourself familiar with something called "building blocks".
(ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/289860.pdf) Page 117 and below.

It basically consists of multiple EV Servers which are accessed through DNS aliases which can be moved in desaster cases.

For Performance, you might want to read this:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/288395.pdf

I personally would add 2 GB RAM to your EV Server, and keep an eye on your storage, specially for the index, as this should be fast storage (SAN).

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

doctortt
Level 6
Two good PDFs. Thanks

doctortt
Level 6
Hi, where can I get some documentations on configuring and designing a building block? The documentation above only provides very basic info about it. Thanks

doctortt
Level 6
No one can help me?