cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location for SQL Server - in a bind

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
When we were first sold EV, we were told the SQL databases were for config info only, so here at HQ, we loaded the SQL databases on our utility SQL server. Since then, we've learned that the SQL databases do much more than hold the config info. If I'm correct, they track every message in and out of the archive, where they're stored, etc. right? Anyway...

We're installing EV at our 3 remote offices, each it's own separate EV site. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of loading SQL on any of the existing servers and purchasing 3 new servers is a last resort. According to the documentation, the SQL databases can be loaded on the EV server for demo purposes, but has anyone had any luck/perfomance problems with doing this in production?

OR...

Can the remote sites use our SQL server here at HQ over the T1 lines? If we turn off auditing?

Environment:
E2K3 sp1
EV 6.0 SP2 on W2K3 sp1
Our remote offices have between 50 and 70 users each connect via T1 lines.
Total archive size for each office is anticipated to reach 500 GB in 2 years.
Servers are HP DL360 G4s (dual xeon 3.2ghz w/ 3 GB ram), EV data is stored on SAN (FC @ 2 gbps).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If these are the specs for the EV servers in the remote sites:

Servers are HP DL360 G4s (dual xeon 3.2ghz w/ 3 GB ram), EV data is stored on SAN (FC @ 2 gbps).

Then I do not think they will see that poor of performance for the number of users they are talking about. The big thing is to not let SQL still all the memory.

the biggest concern to me would be the SAN storing the data, if the link goes down the users will not be able to get to the data and archiving won't work. If the storage is going to be going over the network you might as well go w/ a centralized solution.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

TonySterling
Since you are looking at having a Centralized location you may want to reconsider you solution. I would recommend just having one site and archiving the remote sites from HQ. You could create seperate vault stores for the locations to have some seperation, but if you leave them together you will get SIS. :)

Anyway, I think your performance will be better w/ the task in HQ and just having them archive over the T1.

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
It sounds like a good plan, but we prefer to keep our email data isolated in each office. If a T1 link goes down, especially since we are overhauling our WAN hardware this year, we would be dead in the water, correct?

TonySterling
Then you will need to put sql in each office in addition to storing the dvs files there as well, because if the databases are in HQ you will be in the same situation.

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
True, I guess my second question, running SQL centralized in HQ, is not an option given our strategy.

So back to my original question, is anyone running the SQL dbs on the EV server with any success?

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
Posted in error, having problems with forumsMessage was edited by:
Jason Sauer

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
Jason Sauer

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
Jason Sauer

Jason_Sauer_2
Level 4
Jason Sauer

TonySterling
For smaller installations that can work out okay, What are the spec's for the EV servers in the remote offices? Specifically disk size, processer, and ram.

What are you going to use for storage for the vault store partitions?

TonySterling
DuplicateMessage was edited by:
Tony Sterling

TonySterling
Tony Sterling

TonySterling
Tony Sterling

TonySterling
Putting SQL on the EV server in the remote sites can work for smaller installs. What are the specs on the EV server? If it is a pretty good machine you might be okay.

What are you going to use for storage for the remote locations?

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Jason,
Do NOT run SQL on the EV server. Yes, technically it'll work. Your performance will be ass.

Micah

TonySterling
Tony Sterling

TonySterling
duplicateMessage was edited by:
Tony Sterling

TonySterling
duplicateMessage was edited by:
Tony Sterling

TonySterling
Sorry for the multiple post, forum is behaving rather oddly today!!Message was edited by:
Tony Sterling

TonySterling
If these are the specs for the EV servers in the remote sites:

Then I do not think they will see that poor of performance for the number of users they are talking about. The big thing is to not let SQL still all the memory.

the biggest concern to me would be the SAN storing the data, if the link goes down the users will not be able to get to the data and archiving won't work. If the storage is going to be going over the network you might as well go w/ a centralized solution.