cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for information on the new Enterprise Vault agent for Backup Exec 12

Charles_Kline
Level 3
Hello:
We are currently running Backup exec 11d Rev7170 for our exchange and archive system.  The backup job we run to backup the enterprise vault stores.  The three stores (1 online and 2 offline) ran for about 45 hours and had only backed up 500 GB or so (LTO3 fiber attached Library) I believe the slow times is due to the fact it is backing up every single message in the store.  I just found out that backup exec 12 has the new Enterprise Vault agent.  I did some research  on the symantec site and all I could find out is that it intergrates the Enterprise vault fully with Backup Exec and that it makes your backups and restores faster.  What i am looking for is how does it make it fater.  Does this work like the GRT for the Exchange stores (allowing you to backup the datatbase and not the individual messages).  Also I would like to know the limitations such as do you need to do this to disk (like the public folders using the GRT).  If anybody could help point me to any documentation that tells how this new agent exactly works i would appreciate it very much. 

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Do these  help any?

There is also the Admin Guide starting with page 1469

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 03-17-2008 09:05 AM

Stormonts
Level 5
We purchased both the Enterprise Vault agent and the SQL agent.  I've been sent the serial numbers and license keys for both, but I can't figure out where to download them.  I logged into File COnnect using one of the serial numbers that I received and the only items that are listed for download are just the Backup Exec 12.0 program, not the add-ons.

Where can I download these two agents?

Steve

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Just add them to the media server (Tools\Add Remove Options).  The "agents" are not actual code that you install on the SLQ/EV server like the RemoteAgent is, they just unlock the capability on the media server.

(You will need to install the RAWS on the SQL/EV servers to connect, but one is included with each SQL/EV serial)

Stormonts
Level 5
In CPS?  Under Tools, I don't have the option to Add or Remove anything.

Steve

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Gotta remember to check what board I'm on! Smiley Tongue

See the Admin Guide page 1471 for installation instructions

Stormonts
Level 5
So I realized that I had just installed Continuous Protection Server.  I then downloaded BEWS_12.1364_32BIT_VERSION and installed it.  During that install, none of the License Numbers that I was sent by Symantec are for the agents that I purchased.

I did notice that the beadmin.pdf file isn't included in that zip listed above.  The only PDFs included are BEQckInstl_en.pdf (and the other languages).  Where can I find the admin guide?