cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOSS Archiving- Qns

RG009
Level 4

Hello All,

We are presently doing MOSS Archving. I am still not clear the way it is working. Through out the testing the behaviour is inconsistent. My main concern is regarding the SharePOint policies.

1. Shorcuts : I assume if we set "Remove Orginal itesm from SharePoint"  @ 0 days and replace with Shortcut EV will create a shortcut right after archiving the document. Does it still remove the Original item from SharePoint in this case?

2. Pruning : If we set the above setting as 0 , is it still necessary to enable Pruning to remove the old versions.

Our requirement is to archive items older than 6 months from sharepoint and keep the shortcut of it. Now we are mass importing items to SharePOint so  initial Archiving  is 100's of Gigs ( older than 6 months ).

Thank you in advance

RG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For 1, yes the original will be replaced with a shortcut but only after a successful backup of the vault store partition.  The shortcut will be created on the next archive run.

For 2, Pruning is not related to shortcut creation. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

For 1, yes the original will be replaced with a shortcut but only after a successful backup of the vault store partition.  The shortcut will be created on the next archive run.

For 2, Pruning is not related to shortcut creation. 

RG009
Level 4

Thank you Tony

So in our case if we want to keep only the last version of the archived item ( shortcut) in MOSS we should set the value "Prune SharePoint documents = 1" correct ?

TonySterling

Yes, you want that set to the maximum you want left in SharePoint, so in your case, 1.

Cheers,

RG009
Level 4

While running the archive task in report mode i see the below lines in the report.

*** Error *** There is an error in XML document (1, 2617).. ' ', hexadecimal value 0x0B, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 2617. Error listing files in the folder

Any idea what is this error about ?

TonySterling

I started a new thread for the error since it is not related to the original question.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sharepoint-archiving-error

regards,