Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSMQ a1 get high and archiving is slow

marbak71
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hello,

At a customer with EV10.0.4 we have the following problem.

The EV server have a high a1 queue and is still getting higher (over 1000 items). When the archive task runs we see in the brief report that it has archived 5 mailboxes in 7 hours. It has still 680 mailboxes to do in the a5 queue so it wil take weeks before all mailboxes are finished. We have just one mailbox task (one Exchange server 2013) and do not use PSTs. The EV server has 16GB memory, 4 CPU's with Windows Server 2012 R2.

We have set the mailbox archiving task to do 8 concurrent jobs.

When it is done with archiving, the EV server stops archiving and CPU is still below 10%, nothing happen. Manual archiving items worked before but will not work, the a3 queue will get higher but still a shortcut that item is being archived (clock icon). After restart EV it looks like it was working but after the weekend it doesn't work anymore. 

Can someone help us to troubleshoot this problem? is there something we can do? I want to do a trace, but what is the best way to trace this kind of problem. There are not that mucht errors in the event log so it looks like it works fine.

Just another thing, after the EV server reboots, the indexing service stops but when we start it again it will running and stays stable. Is it because there is still about 3-5% free disk space on the disk where the indexes are saved?

I hope someone can help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think by default EV wants 10% free disk space. you can override this but it's not a good idea for indexes. for the MSMQs can you check what the quota is set to and make sure it's at least 8GB?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Elio_C
Level 6

Wow, lots of issues!

Regarding the slow archiving, I get a lot of the same and it generally relates to SQL index frgamentation have you setup the SQL maintenance tasks as recommended in https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH74666.html

Have you worked with support at all, sounds like you have a problem and you are chasing the symptoms rather than the cause, SQL index fragmentation is definately worth a look.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think by default EV wants 10% free disk space. you can override this but it's not a good idea for indexes. for the MSMQs can you check what the quota is set to and make sure it's at least 8GB?

marbak71
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi, thank you both for your comments!

Queues are empty but the server is stil very slow. I will start to look at the SQL maintenance tasks because I think that can be an issue over here (SQL index fragmentation). 

Besides that I will also check the free space on de EV server and check the quota size of MSMQ.

I will contact the customer about these recommendations!

As soon as I know more, I will update it.

marbak71
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thank you both for your suggestions! I will discuss this with my customer and check all above. 

I will update the activity as soon as I know the results.

Thanks again!

marbak71
Level 2
Partner Accredited

A bit lite about the update, but the indexing volume was les than 10%!. Now it is working again and stable!

Thanks!