cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail and jornal archiving tasks are failing with error 3305, 2256

amazonrun
Level 2

We are running Symantec Enterprise Vault 9.03 with Exchange 2003. It has been running fine for the last three years.

Recently, we upgraded to Exchange 2010 and added new targets and created new tasks. Couple of months later, the Journaling task failed then it was followed by the mail tasks that also failed with error 3305 & 2256.

After numerous days of troubleshooting and checking the online forums, I kept sseing the same discussions about VSA, permissions, Closest GC, DS Server registry entries, etc.

I verified all is set properly yet, the tasks kept failing.

I  found the solution to the failing Mailbox & Journaling tasks. It appears that all of the issues we encountered last week were related to Exchange 2010 being in a DAG configuration.

The solution is to create DBs that are not part of any DAG configuration and move or create system mailboxes and place them in these DBs.

This is true for the Journaling mailbox as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i think its documented, albeit a bit of a round about way to make sure that the system mailbox remains on the server being targeted

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Hi

Would it be possible to share more information with regards to the DAG setup you experienced these issues on?  I'm wondering if there is something specific we can learn from your setup.  

For example creating the new DB's could have resulted in a different RPCClientAccessServer value, which in turn meant that tasks were bypassing a load balancer you may have in place.

Many customers deploy successfully on DAG's and there are no issues specficially with DAG's we're currently aware of. 

Regards

Karl

amazonrun
Level 2

Hello Karl,

The issue is not with the DAG configuration, it is when the DB moves around from one server to another such as; after a reboot, failure, DR Excercise, etc. which is a frequent event in any environmnet.

Ed

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i think its documented, albeit a bit of a round about way to make sure that the system mailbox remains on the server being targeted

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

amazonrun
Level 2

I scanned online but didn't see it documented anywhere. Can you show the link if possible.