cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail is duplicated in .pst file when exported from the vault.

Mallard78
Level 3
Hello,

I was trying to export some of the vaults from EV8. I ran the export to .pst tool and it created me a .pst file as expected.

I then opened the .pst file in Outlook to confirm that it would open ok and noticed that pretty much all the mail was duplicated, some as many as 5 times.
This would mean that the .pst is going to be a lot bigger than the vault.

Would the mail have been duplicated when putting into the Vault or when creating the .pst?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nigel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That is way too short,

So if something gets archive and has not been backed-up it will change from pending to a normal mail within a day and therefore the next day get archived again.  That is whats is happening, your backup is not happening within 24h of archiving an item, which is not bad at all just your Pending Timeout is whaaaay to low, I would recommend something like 7 days or lowest 3 day, but not 1......

--wayne

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Use archive explorer to confirm there is only one copy in the archive. if there is only one copy in the archive export that archive to PST again and confirm you are getting dups, if you still getting dups, and there is only one instance of that item in the archive then it is a PST export issue. Once we know where the issue lies, if there is one we can look at it in more depth.

Mallard78
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, it looks like the mail is duplicated within the vault itself.
This is the same for other users I have tried.

Nigel

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Do you have Discovery Accelerator licensed?

If you there is a dedup software from Axisdiscovery and they provide the software free to anyone who is licensed to run DA

This software will take up to 250 PST files and dedup them down to smaller files. It also provides a reort on the work it does through MS Access for chain of custody if needed

Mallard78
Level 3
We do not have those products, but I will have a look into them.
My main concern for now is that all mail items are being duplicated into the Vault thus making our storage capacity even more limited.
Do you know of any reason that could be causing this?
I am worried we may run out of disk space before too long.

MichelZ
Level 6
If those items are exact duplicates, they will be single instanced, and only use storage one time.

You can confirm by comparing your physical disk usage to the "Virtual" Disk usage, on http://<evserver>/EnterpriseVault/usage.asp

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Mallard78

So can you confirm there are duplicate items in archive explorer?

Mallard78
Level 3
MichelZ:

Total number of Vault Stores : 2
Total number of Active Archives : 1,286
Total number of items : 18,902,877
Total size of items : 2,844,017 MB
Average size of items : 154 KB

Current size of  archives that are stored on the physical drive: 1.06TB with 2,242,984 files

Does this tally?

If they are single instanced, how can you stop them from being duplicated when exporting.

Wayne Humphrey:

Yes I can confirm that when I use archive explorer, there are mail items that are duplicated in the vault (same subject, size, date, time, etc.) some mails are copied between 1 and 8 times. Some mails not duplicated at all.

I was hoping to extract to PST all vaults of users that have left the business and maybe store them elsewhere so as not to clog up the vault.
I am concered I am going to be creating more data in multiple PSTs (currently split into 600Mb limits) than having them in the vault.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
How often do you backup Enterprise Vault, and how do you back it up?

What is your PendingTimeout set to?

--wayne

Mallard78
Level 3
The vault is backed up everynight using Symantec Backup Exec 10d.
It has been running successful for weeks now.

Not sue what you mean by pending timeout?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
This is what i am refering to:

imagebrowser image

Mallard78
Level 3
Thank you, ours is set to 1.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
That is way too short,

So if something gets archive and has not been backed-up it will change from pending to a normal mail within a day and therefore the next day get archived again.  That is whats is happening, your backup is not happening within 24h of archiving an item, which is not bad at all just your Pending Timeout is whaaaay to low, I would recommend something like 7 days or lowest 3 day, but not 1......

--wayne

Mallard78
Level 3
I have now changed this setting and will monitor to see if this no longer happens.
So now is the only way of cleaning up the .pst files by buying a licence for Discovery Accelerator?
Is there no way of running deduplication against a vault?