When I used to admin the Symantec Enterprise Vault environment, I had the need to analyse users mailboxes to determine why things where not being archived ect, ect.
Someone “thanks Karl” wrote me a small command line tool that allowed me to do this. We have had the need to do this for someone else but decided to make a new tool with a new nice UI to give a better overall analysis of a mailbox.
If you think this would be a useful tool, please let me know then we can get it packaged up and offered as a totally free tool.
Any comments / suggestions welcome.
...plesae ensure that your outlook profile is NOT RUNNING CACHED MODE!
The MAPI Wrapper we use for reading the mailboxes has a restriction in a method, when cached mode is used. This can lead to incorrect results!
We'll build in a check of the Outlook Connection Mode in the next version as well an autoupdate feature.
Just a few questions:
- Where must the tool be installed and run? In the Echange server?
- Wich outlook profile must no run in cached mode? All the mailboxes that you want to analyze? Only the mailbox of the account you use to log in the server where the tool is installed?
Thanks in advanced.
I installed it on an old EV-server, and run it while being logged on as VSA (Vault Service Account)
VSA should have correct permissions on Exchange to be able to investigate all mailboxes.
...on any server where you can logon with the ev-service account (if you want to scan centrally) and where an Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 is installed.
Of course you can as well scan your own mailbox on your own pc if you like...
The Outlook DEFAULT Profile is the one that needs to be in online mode.
I have tried from my EV server logged with the EV admin account and I always get "No Data". Same running from my PC against my own mailbox. I have even didabled the Cached Mode for my account. The EV admin account has this disabled as well. But no way. We're still using Outlook 2003 (planning 2010).
I got a slightly different error just now, and thought I would share ...
basically I was getting an error saying 'object reference not set to an instance of an object', after entering the mailbox name I wanted to scan.
Turns out .. Ambiguous name in the GAL :)