cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Archive: Report Mode vs. Normal Mode results

calval
Level 3
SEV 8.0  W/2003

I am trying to archive an individual Mailbox.
I run the archive task in Report Mode and "Select Mailbox". I can see the mailbox I want to archive.  I run the report, all appears ok with the exception on the "Mailbox Status" = Disabled.  But the mailbox is not disabled, nor is it hidden from the GAL.

If I run the archive task in normal mode and "Select Mailbox", the mailbox does not even appear as an option to archive.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

http://support.veritas.com/docs/310645

Enabling mailboxes for archiving

Details:
Before new mailboxes can be enabled, they must be processed by the Exchange Provisioning task. On a default system, this task will run once a day. On the task properties, you can schedule the task to run twice a day at specific times.
Starting the Task Controller service and archiving task also force a run to process new mailboxes that have been added to provisioning groups.
After Exchange Server mailboxes have been processed by the Provisioning task, they need to be enabled. This can be done automatically, when the Exchange Mailbox task runs, or manually. When an Exchange Server mailbox is enabled, a new archive is created for the mailbox in the vault store specified for the Provisioning Group. An archive has an associated account that is used for billing purposes, and one or more users who can access the information stored in it. To force the Exchange Provisioning task to process mailboxes
1. In the left pane of the Administration Console, expand Enterprise Vault Servers, and then your Enterprise Vault server.  
2. Click Tasks.
3. In the right-hand pane, right-click the Exchange Provisioning task and select Properties.
4. Check that the reporting level is as you require. Full reporting will list each mailbox that is processed, the provisioning group, Mailbox and PST policies assigned the user name associated with the mailbox and the action taken. Summary statistics about the task run are included at the end of the report. You can configure the task to generate reports when the task is run in both report or normal mode.
5. In the right-hand pane, right-click the Exchange Provisioning task and select Run now.
6. Select whether you want the task to run in report or normal mode. The task will then start processing the mailboxes in the provisioning groups.
7. If you selected the option for mailboxes to be enabled for archiving automatically, they will be enabled the next time the Exchange Mailbox task runs.  If you did not select the option to enable new mailboxes automatically, you must enable them manually.

To enable one or more mailboxes manually
1.In the Administration Console, click 'Enable Mailboxes' in the Tools menu or click the 'Enable Mailboxes for Archiving' icon on the toolbar. The Enable Mailbox wizard starts.
2.Work through the wizard and click 'Help' on any of the wizard screens for further information.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
You need to enable the mailbox for archiving.

TonySterling

http://support.veritas.com/docs/310645

Enabling mailboxes for archiving

Details:
Before new mailboxes can be enabled, they must be processed by the Exchange Provisioning task. On a default system, this task will run once a day. On the task properties, you can schedule the task to run twice a day at specific times.
Starting the Task Controller service and archiving task also force a run to process new mailboxes that have been added to provisioning groups.
After Exchange Server mailboxes have been processed by the Provisioning task, they need to be enabled. This can be done automatically, when the Exchange Mailbox task runs, or manually. When an Exchange Server mailbox is enabled, a new archive is created for the mailbox in the vault store specified for the Provisioning Group. An archive has an associated account that is used for billing purposes, and one or more users who can access the information stored in it. To force the Exchange Provisioning task to process mailboxes
1. In the left pane of the Administration Console, expand Enterprise Vault Servers, and then your Enterprise Vault server.  
2. Click Tasks.
3. In the right-hand pane, right-click the Exchange Provisioning task and select Properties.
4. Check that the reporting level is as you require. Full reporting will list each mailbox that is processed, the provisioning group, Mailbox and PST policies assigned the user name associated with the mailbox and the action taken. Summary statistics about the task run are included at the end of the report. You can configure the task to generate reports when the task is run in both report or normal mode.
5. In the right-hand pane, right-click the Exchange Provisioning task and select Run now.
6. Select whether you want the task to run in report or normal mode. The task will then start processing the mailboxes in the provisioning groups.
7. If you selected the option for mailboxes to be enabled for archiving automatically, they will be enabled the next time the Exchange Mailbox task runs.  If you did not select the option to enable new mailboxes automatically, you must enable them manually.

To enable one or more mailboxes manually
1.In the Administration Console, click 'Enable Mailboxes' in the Tools menu or click the 'Enable Mailboxes for Archiving' icon on the toolbar. The Enable Mailbox wizard starts.
2.Work through the wizard and click 'Help' on any of the wizard screens for further information.

calval
Level 3
I probably should have mentioned the account has been provisioned and enabled. 
There is an archive for the account, which makes this even more confusing for me. That's is why I was suprprised it showed up in report mode and not when I actually tried archiving the account.

I may delete archive and try to re-enable it again and see how that goes. 

Any other insight is greatly appreciated.

TonySterling
Well it sounds as if the account may have been disabled.

Have you ran a synchronization?

calval
Level 3
I just recreated his archive from scratch, that seems to have done the trick.  I must have missed something the first time around.
Btw, I had run the synchronization.

Thanks for the help. Sometimes just hearing others imput get's one's mind working in a different direction.