cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox archive policy settings...

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Hi,

Please let us know what is the Mailbox archiving policy settings in EV6.0SP4?

Thanks,

Anu
9 REPLIES 9

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Would you care to elaborate on that a bit more please?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Can you be a little more specific on what you want to do as we can give you a more direct answer

Also EV6 is no longer supported i recommend you upgrade to the latest version of EV8.

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
We see a lot of users with  pending archive items in their mailboxes  for more than two nights. 

When these items do not get archived overnight, we have issues with mailbox space overlimits and also have to manually unarchive these items and mark them for archiving again.  We sometimes have mailboxes that contain more than 200 items in pending state in different folders and would need to manually un-archive and re-archive these items for the users.

So, we would like to know if there is any specific Mailbox policy setting  for manual mailbox archiving for users that can be set up, which would indicate how many items would get archived per mailbox per night.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
HA,

That still makes no sense, Anuradha, I think you are asking this?

Can you have a policy on which a user decides how many items get archived per night?  The answer is NO.

If I was you and Exchange space was an issue, I would consider upgrading to Enterprise Vault  v8, in v8 you can do age and quota based archiving, which will massively reduce people reducing people receiving over quota messages as well as reduce your information store.

--wayne

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Wayne,

We  know the current settings that we have is set to  200 items per mailbox for the mailbox archiving task for each exchange server.  We just needed clarification if this is the case irrespective of whether it would be manual/automatic mailbox archiving.

Thanks,

Anu

PS:  We are aware of the latest version of EV.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Have you ensured your backup completed? If your backups have not completed the items will show as pending archive. This is a security feature that it wont remove the items from the mailbox until a sucessful backup has been completed

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
No the 200 messagesperpass that you are refering to is for scheduled archiving only so what that means is that if you have 5 mailboxes with 1000 items in ready for archiving it will do 200 in mailbox1 then move to mailbox 2 and do 200 then move to mailbox 3 and do 200 and so on on so forth.

When it finishes doing 200 from mailbox 5 it will start again from the beginning and do another 200 from mailbox1 and so on and so forth. It will continue to do this until either all items have been archived or the scheduled period has been reached.

For quota based archiving this is slightly different as only 1 pass occurs so you would only get the maximum of 200 messages archived per mailbox per pass.

This again changes in EV8 with the introduction of age and quota based archiving!!!!

From a manual archiving perspective you can archive as many as you want as the 200 setting is not effective in this scenario.

As scanner has mentioned if you have pending items and your safety copy is set to after backup on the vault store then the reason for this is more than likely to do with the fact that the archive bit has not been reset on your dvs files.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
And on that note if you have many users over the quota i would suggest setting your archiving schedule to run more often in a day than just once. and get through the backlog.

I would also consider moving the number of messages per pass back to defaults or higher.  It makes no sense to only archive 200 items, if the user has 2000 he will only drop bellow his quota in 10 days, however there is no harm in having a big number per pass set as if the use only has 100 items to archive that's all it will do and move on.

MichelZ
Level 6
As Scanner001 suggests, make sure your backup is running successfully on the EV Stores, and that the Backup is running AFTER archiving.

In most cases, "archive pending" means that the saveset on the EV Server was not backed up successfully.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.