cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox archiving...partition rollover...

jprknight-oldax
Level 6

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what will happen to end user archives when one partition closes and another one opens when partition rollover occurs? I suspect the user will then see two archives, one on the closed partition something like 'John Smith [2009-08-06 - 2011-02-11]' and another like 'John Smith'.

This would be useful information as we would probably have to communicate this information out to our user base ahead of time so they know what to expect.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Hi Jeremey

The user only ever has one archive, regardless to the number of partitions. I have seen places with over 100 partitions, and there users only ever see one archive.

IF you want to put the archives in new Vault Stores you may end up with multiple archives, not with Partitions though.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Jeremy,

A users-archive basically sits in SQL...

Where the files are stored is for EV not important.

A user will continue to see 'Archive' and nothing more. It is SQL that directs a recall/search/archive explorer to the proper file-location.

You will only see what you refer to when you MOVE an archive. The old archive will have a closed date, and there will be a new archive. After the move, the old archive needs to be deleted (manually), and then the user again sees only 1 archive.

GJ

edit - this is very simplistic, but for instance, the index belonging to the archive is not closed, and gets updated continuously.

Regards. Gertjan

maj_rif
Level 4

Partition rollover is different concept as you have mentioned in you question. following link will assit you in detail.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO37602&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

the following option comes only when you are moving your archives to different servers.

"one on the closed partition something like 'John Smith [2009-08-06 - 2011-02-11]' and another like 'John Smith'."

what is your concern? i'll apprecite if you can explain in detail about your question. 

Regards/

jprknight-oldax
Level 6

Hi guys,

I am worried my users will see multiple archives in archive explorer, one for each partition a portion of their archive resides in.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Hi Jeremey

The user only ever has one archive, regardless to the number of partitions. I have seen places with over 100 partitions, and there users only ever see one archive.

IF you want to put the archives in new Vault Stores you may end up with multiple archives, not with Partitions though.

TSO
Level 4

jprknight

Mohawk is right, Archive is a logical representation of the data archived (savesets) in the Vault store partitions, savesets can be stored in many different partitions (due to several reasons) but the archive would still remain the same. When the items get archived, each item would have a transaction ID, saveset id which is unique to the items and where the items are localed and in which partition. Therefore Enterprise Vault can easily identify for each user how many items have been archived and where each item is located and in which partition. This can be obtained easily through SQL query. 

For example say you had an open Vault Store partition (Partition 1) and there are 1000 items archived from TSO user's archive, then today you close the Vault store partition and you open a new partition (Partition 2), TSO archives manually/scheduled archiving 50 items. So in total

TSO's archive contains 1050 items

1000 archived items will be stored in Vault Store Partition 1 - Which is closed now

50 Items will be stored in Vault Store Partition 2 - Currently open partition.

When the user's perform searches (uisng search.asp page or search02k page) all they get back is results of the number of items indexed from their archive it does not matter which partition the items are stored in.

There is no rule or limit in Enterprise Vault that says Archive A will have all its items stored in Vault Store A and if you roll over to partition B the user A will have a second Archive created because we have closed partition A and open partition B.

I hope that helps!

jprknight-oldax
Level 6

Hi all,

Thanks for the help so far, this is brilliant.

I have another question. Once I close a partition can I then delete archives from it as people leave our organisation?

Thanks,

Jeremy.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yup, Closed just means no new data gets written to it, it does not mean however the data won't change, especially if you use collections (CAB files will be deleted, new ones created, archdvs files extracted and deleted etc).

Items can be deleted, which would happen through expiry, user deletes and deleting archives from the VAC

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

jprknight-oldax
Level 6

Ah cool. I I could potentially close a partition and after some time open it again if sufficient housekeeping has occured.

Thanks everyone.